AuthorTopic: I need help <3  (Read 10871 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: I need help <3

Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 03:58:04 pm
his advice *is* a huge oversimplification of how color works.

that was my point, and the post(s) to which my reply was directed

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 07:44:05 pm
that was my point, and the post(s) to which my reply was directed
Oh, hahah! Sorry, I read that post completely the wrong way. Now that I reread it, I see what you were saying. My bad, thought you were addressing me!  :P

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 11:53:36 pm
Wow naruto GOA. -_- There pixel work has many uneeded colors so you could do better then there work easily.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 04:53:48 pm
Uhm...so what is natural lighting from the sun considered? Would it be considered white or something with a little more yellow?

Here's the updated icon of the character again, I'm not sure where to go next to make it even better. Should I add in another shade/4th color?

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 12:32:53 am
Uhm...so what is natural lighting from the sun considered? Would it be considered white or something with a little more yellow?

Here's the updated icon of the character again, I'm not sure where to go next to make it even better. Should I add in another shade/4th color?

Sunlight is white at noon, orange-reddish at sunset and dawn : )

In my opinion, to make it better you should add some contrast to the shirt and the hair, like this

I did some other changes too: the shape of his hair,shortened the legs, arms and bust to make it look in the right perspective, and some minor edits.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:48:50 am by RedKnight91 »
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 12:58:45 am
Who-ho-hoa! 23 replies already!

I think you may be confusing him, jams... I agree that value is more important than hue-shifting, and that it should be applied first (this usually means the first version is in black and white and color is applied afterwards). But it's quite common, in fact, more often than not to see hue shifting in well-made pixelart; even some realistic ones, for some reason, but especially in stylized pieces like these. It'd be unusual to not have any hue-shifting even under certain lighting conditions, but if you feel that's what you want to do, go ahead.

Value's the main concern here. They're quite low on the hair and shirt. Other than that, the light source appears to be overhead but isn't very defined, partly because of the values. From a 1x scale the shirt almost appears to be pillow-shaded, whereas I imagine it a a cylinder, or even, for the sake of keeping things readable, a plain field of color.

To preserve readability on something of this size, keep pixel clusters large. Don't define details using one or two pixels; for example, what you've done on the character's shoulder pads. Same with lighting; keep it general, you don't have to click around forming lighted strands of hair or folds of cloth with individual pixels. If you do, try to buffer (smooth) things out with another color until it looks okay, but don't use too many of course--one buffer color should be fine for this size--and don't forget to avoid forbidden practices of banding and pillow-shading.

You have some unnecessary colors as well. Note some have been adjusted to be used for more than one purpose; for example, I got rid of two shades formerly used for the sprite's pants. Since it's harder to distinguish between dark colors at a glance, I used the darkest shade to fill in for both hair and pants, and replaced the lighter shade with brown. They're single pixels, so they'll be harder to notice immediately, although they do give the pants a warmer tone... Similar to the rest of the sprite. Another thing I did is used gray to act as sky speculars on the hair. You can read about those, among other things, here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:55:11 am by pistachio »

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 01:04:18 am
Who-ho-hoa! 23 replies already!

I think you may be confusing him, jams... I agree that value is more important than hue-shifting, and that it should be applied first. But it's quite common, in fact, more often than not to see hue-shifting in well-made pixelart; even some realistic ones, for some reason, but especially in stylized pieces like these. It'd be unusual to not have any hue-shifting even under certain lighting conditions.

Value's the main concern here. They're quite low on the hair and shirt. Other than that, the light source appears to be overhead but isn't very defined, partly because of the values. From a 1x scale the shirt almost appears to be pillow-shaded.

To preserve readability on something of this size, keep pixel clusters large. Don't define details using one or two pixels. (for example, what you've done on the character's shoulder pads).

You have some unnecessary colors as well.

I like what you did with the hair!!!
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 06:12:43 pm
I think you may be confusing him, jams... I agree that value is more important than hue-shifting, and that it should be applied first (this usually means the first version is in black and white and color is applied afterwards). But it's quite common, in fact, more often than not to see hue shifting in well-made pixelart; even some realistic ones, for some reason, but especially in stylized pieces like these. It'd be unusual to not have any hue-shifting even under certain lighting conditions, but if you feel that's what you want to do, go ahead.
Aye, I agree with everything you said; even in full-size paintings, good artists constantly use hue shifting to do great (highly stylized) work. Pixel art probably needs hue shifting even more, because the resolution's usually lower. I think great pixel artists understand how color *actually* works though, which is what allows them to stylize things so effectively. I just didn't agree with the advice that was given earlier, because it really only applied to certain situations...I'm not against hue shifting at all - almost all my paintings are hue-shifted far past what could be considered realistic, but I hue shift with a goal in mind, based on what I know to be realistic. In any case, color theory won't hurt anyone, hahah. X3

Love what you did with the sprite, too. Looks much better. =)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:16:31 pm by jams0988 »