AuthorTopic: [WIP] Current Project: Beat 'em Up  (Read 4326 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

[WIP] Current Project: Beat 'em Up

on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:32 pm
Some WIP stuff I'm making for a beat 'em up.

View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Current Project: Beat 'em Up

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:37 pm
Hi!! I'd suggest checking this out -> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Muybridge_disk_step_walk.jpg
it's a great reference for walk cycles, and if you need other references (for running etc.) try googling "Muybridge", he took some great photos.

I suggest studying how the body moves when walking and redoing your animation : )
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:51 pm
DAMN!! I did a base running cycle to show you
but i realised too late that I screwed up when saving the gif so the frames overlayed.. sorry, hope it's of any use anyway

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:48:11 am
One of the attack animations drafted up.

Edit; Another draft animation, this time for a fireball attack:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:16:56 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:12 am
Looks nice! Try to complete it and let us see ^u^

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:37 am
I like where this is headed! However, I think you could develop his character a little more, because right now he just looks like your average walking human-sized turtle. How about giving him some armor, boots? anything to give him some heroic/badass flair. You could give him an interesting armor-like plating to his shell, some leather straps, armbands... do some exploration.

As for the animations, I definitely think you could give him some more swagger in his walk. I imagine that since his legs are disproportionately small compared to the rest of his body, he has to rotate himself completely for each step - show his massive shell swinging left and right, give him some weight. You have a similar problem in the attack animations - you're trying to make the tween frames follow each other very smoothly, which does create a smooth animation but it doesn't portray energy buildup or weight very well. Think about the timing, when do you want the limbs moving slowly and faster?

For the attack animation, I would give a few more frames to the buildup and make him smash down in only 1-2 frames. For the fireball animation, he is very static. Play with the possibility of him recoiling while creating the fireball and surging forwards to release it. Good luck! :)