AuthorTopic: [WIP] Random objects and guy walking, C+C  (Read 4134 times)

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

[WIP] Random objects and guy walking, C+C

on: August 30, 2011, 07:43:06 am
Hi! This is my first post, and I'd like to share some of my latest work to receive some comments and critiques.
If someone is interested at giving a deep look at all my pixel art, here is my deviantart pixelart gallery : ) http://redknight91.deviantart.com/gallery/26201942

SO!

Here is some stuff I've put together lately to practice walk cycles, trees, and various stuff.

I'm pretty satisfied about the walk cycle (which is meant to be bold and bouncy), except for the dust from his feet, I'd like to have him scatter some dust from the ground when he "stomps", but it looks kinda weird.. :o
About the "big" piece, I'm not satisfied with the sky, I can't seem to find a way to make good looking "gradients" in the sky or add a good looking sun, it just looks too fake! The grass need more work for sure... I like the tree though, I practiced with a simple shape and after a lot of attempts I came up with that, it seems kinda legit imho : D

If someone would take the time to give me some feedback, critique etc it would be great ^^ Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:44:05 pm by RedKnight91 »
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Random objects and guy walking, C+C

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:58:18 am
Surprised no one's commented on this yet, it definitely deserves some attention! I love your character, he does indeed look bold and bouncy :) I'd consider increasing the contrast on him though, since he is the main character and he needs to stand out. At the moment, the most visible feature of the scene is the tree, which although beautiful (love the colors!) doesn't need to be that prominent.

Have you considered creating a background, to show depth, like mountains and such? The horizon here should be at eye level yet you don't have one, that's probably one of the factors making the scene look "fake". I agree with the grass, you could probably decrease the saturation on the earth. The grass seems too flat as well, it just looks like a green surface of whatever. Making individual blades and clumps of leaf-like shapes will convey the impression that it is grass as opposed to random green mush.

The hue shifting on the tree looks great, but it doesn't really translate anywhere else in the scene except the earth, which makes it look quite out of place. These kind of colors require very very specific conditions, and a bright sunny day is not one of these! Think more about how all the elements are interconnected: how would light act on such a day? is it worth making things look "cool" at the expense of realism? I like where this is headed though, I look forward to seeing more!

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:25:44 pm
Yeah I was surprised that nobody had replied yet, I was starting to think that I had done something wrong! xD

Thank you for your comment, suggestions and for being so nice : D

I totally get all of your points and now I'll answer one by one:

- I'd like to keep the contrast on the character the same, 'cause I wanted him to look like a commoner, a poor fella, not a guy in his shiny armor : D
- The tree is that color 'cause I wanted it too be a tree in Fall instead of the usual green tree, and I agree that it pops out too much, it should be on the background, as it is now it seems that it's in the middle of the hero's path, lol. I thought of having orange-ish grass too, to match the Fall feeling, but I don't remember if grass remains green in fall or if it withers a little xD
- I thought about having a forest in the background, with a city beyond it, this is just the first stage of the WIP, I was trying to get the style going with some objects and the character ;)

thanks again for everything!

please, bear with my poor english, I'm italian :p

EDIT

I improved the tree's look a bit, and I tried pasting it in the background and making it look like it actually is in the background : D The character mixes with the background a little but that's no problem, 'cause he's in WIP mode too xD

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:06:10 pm by RedKnight91 »

Offline NightCabbage

• View Profile
    • Cabbynode Games

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:47:01 pm
That's cool RedKnight!

The objects are very nice - good box, and I really like the tree.

I also like how his nose waggles up and down as he walks - it adds to the "character" of the character :P

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 05:48:09 am
That's cool RedKnight!

The objects are very nice - good box, and I really like the tree.

I also like how his nose waggles up and down as he walks - it adds to the "character" of the character :P

thank you! ^ ^

As for the nose, that was my intention ; ) Thanks again

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:16:02 am
Really love this, get a kind of harvest Moon feeling from it.

I thought i'd flinch in a bit about the backgrund. The transparent bits
That shows the sky destroys the feeling of depth. i'd rather make an entire new
Background but a simple and clean one. As u got much contrast everywhere else.

Maby a field, part forest.

Its Good practise! in imo. A good made bg is what makes a platformer magic. Graphic wise.

Keep it up
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:04:46 pm by coffee »

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:18:18 am
Yeah that was a quick try at some trees on the background, it's gonna have some variety and a city far beyond the trees, so the sky bits won't show ^^ thanks for the suggestions

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:57 am
This looks very appealing. One thing that bothers me is how much farther the man's buckle comes towards the camera than away from it.

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:26 am
This looks very appealing. One thing that bothers me is how much farther the man's buckle comes towards the camera than away from it.

Oh, I get your point, you're right : )

gonna fix it ^^ thank you