AuthorTopic: Crits needed : Untitled Space Game Mocks  (Read 4157 times)

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Crits needed : Untitled Space Game Mocks

on: August 26, 2011, 04:40:44 am
My goal here is for a sorta megaman / darker / more dynamic lightning type of game.

Offline reticle2020

• "Do or do not, there is no try"
    • View Profile

Re: Crits needed : Untitled Space Game Mocks

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:05:52 pm
Wow that looks really good!  Are these game screens or just mockups?  I love the lighting effects.  Don't know why but it reminds me of Commander Keen for some reason and thats not a bad thing :D

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:23:40 pm
Wow that looks really good!  Are these game screens or just mockups?  I love the lighting effects.  Don't know why but it reminds me of Commander Keen for some reason and thats not a bad thing :D

Commander keen!  Used to love that game.  It never even came to mind while I was working on these mock ups but it must have been lurking somewhere deep in my subconscious.  One of the big things that I want to push in this game is the dynamic lightning effects.  More the merrier. 

One thing that has been bothering me is that in some of the darker areas the main character (Black hair space suit) seems to fade into the bg to much and will probably do more so on darker maps.  I'm going to rework him to make him more silver, or I might try some yellows/orange to make him pop more on the blue/purple bgs.

Offline reticle2020

• "Do or do not, there is no try"
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:37:26 am
Yea I'm not sure how you would get the lighting effect to work...then again I'm not much of a programmer :P 

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:39:51 am
Yea I'm not sure how you would get the lighting effect to work...then again I'm not much of a programmer :P 

Same way you do in photoshop pretty much.  You just set a sprite to overlay blending mode and presto, fake lighting.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 05:43:06 am
Woowee, that purple mockup is busy! Recommend darkening the interior of all platforms.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:50:11 am
Woowee, that purple mockup is busy! Recommend darkening the interior of all platforms.

Agree. When I first saw it, I thought it resembled a rave party more than anything. Probably all the flashy colored lights and insanely saturated colors.

The ship also lacks dimension, and the design just looks like something from an old sci-fi B-movie (as does the environment in the 2nd pic) or almost a parody of it; a simple geometric shape with various dials and knobs thrown in, some thrusters and panels for good measure. If you were going for darker, I think you may have missed it here. There's a lot of neat concept art of spaceships around the web you could use as reference, although there's probably a fairly wide skill gap, possibly design gap, between your work and theirs.

Doing an edit is going to be tough with all these NPA effects, but I'll try and see if I come up with something soon. Somehow.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:55:13 am by pistachio »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:52:28 pm
Hey guys thanks for the input!

Here is a ss with the lights turned off if anyone would like to do any edits.

Also, please don't forget these sprites are ment to be viewed at 400%.  here's an example of what that mock looks like at 400.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:50:40 pm
Looks great! As for the main character being too dark, I don't think so. Players shouldn't have any problem tracking him while moving. Still screenshots can be deceiving that way.