AuthorTopic: [WIP] Simulation Game  (Read 12383 times)

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Simulation Game

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:49 am
Ahh, finally some comments. I just thought my work would be really bad :(

But the old man and the kid needs more frames, looks kinda strange at the moment.

Yeah, I noticed as I made the "stange man", that 1 or 2 more frames for the peoples walking animation would
fit much better. Havnt done it yet but Ill keep working on them.

Also, I noticed your door frames in the basement really pop out, I think you need to apply the same contrast for the wooden ones and the elevator doors. Because the basement doors look great! :)

Ok, Ill try and test.

The mysterious man animation is really good : p

Makes me really happy to hear that :D

Ok,small Update:

Changed the mainhall's vertical and horizontal size a bit so that the gameplay camera just got a bigger angle
and also the overall pixelratio will be increased because this will lead to a better and smoother looking. Now, if you
want to see the originals image size, just zoom to 200% (1click) instead of 300% (as previously considered)
Cause of this change I had to add another basement level but that wasnt a big problem, anyway I needed 1 more room :D
You cant see that right now, but maybe in the next update.
Aw, i forgot :) the major update is the added "Tiers" for the cash desk and snack-bar and actually there are 4 tiers showed in this gif.

Last but not least: The actual code is running very well , you can walk and use the elevator to move to the desired floor right now.
Also the camera is almost working like it should .Maybe I post a little preview if your interested in walking around the cinema  :lol: and if the major bugs are removed :yell: -  but thats a bit off topic :D

Right now I can see something need to be fixed while im writing -.- huh...

So long,
Lorath

Edit:

Changed the player walking animation and added some frames. One is with a bouncing head and one without... im not quit sure
which one i like most -.- both of em got pros and cons... the bouncing one sometimes looks like the whole body is stretched and
the non-bouncing one is to fixed and inflexible... any suggestions ?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:22:30 pm by Lorath »
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:51 am
Here we go again ;)

Just worked on the animations a bit an this is the result so far:

Cleaner - Mechanic - Janitor

Woman - Grandpa

The cashier

The snack-man

LCD slide

The woman and grandpa comes in male and female forms and also the kid but i didnt got so far ;)
So, almost everything is ready like the background, characters, decals, gui and so on.
Now its about to fill the inside of the rooms in perspective if you enter them and of course the content.

So far,
Lorath

Edit:
Erm, can a moderator please delete this post and copy this under my last comment ?
I ignored the edit like a stupid and cant report myself :S
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:59:28 pm by Lorath »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:45 pm
Looks great, but I think the main hall is a bit dull..
What makes the design interesting is the rooms with their 3D effect which gives depth and the main hall doesn't have much of that.

Perhaps you could add some thick pillars, some kind of variation on the wall and enlarge the floor further.

The animations are looking really good, but I can't decided on the bouncing head..

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 08:42:46 am
Looks great, but I think the main hall is a bit dull..
What makes the design interesting is the rooms with their 3D effect which gives depth and the main hall doesn't have much of that.

Perhaps you could add some thick pillars, some kind of variation on the wall and enlarge the floor further.

The animations are looking really good, but I can't decided on the bouncing head..

The newer mainhall is a bit more filled with decals but youre right, the pillars needs to be more impressive and thicker. Working on it :)
Also thought of a little relief on the wall... ill try it out.

The animations needs to be seen ingame but i really dont know how to choose. Ill care for it later ^^

Lorath

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:54:23 pm
So, the background is almost ready to go and also the animations...
now it comes to the interactive rooms. Here you can see your own office-room.
Its not finished yet but would like to have some critics first... just to be sure (=
There will be 2 versions: one at daytime with the only lightsource from the window and the second
one at night with the ceiling light turned on.
Some things are missing but will follow. Im thinking of a wall clock, maybe a carpet, a phone and some other small decotations.
Actually im not fine with the trashcan and the ceiling lamp... i worked on them for hours and still ugly like hell :S

So long,
Lorath

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 01:17:52 am
That image is a bit of a mixed bag..
Let's see the things I've noticed.

1. The diagonal line of the desk to the left doesn't match the wall, and neither does the window frame.
Can't say I'm an expert on perspective but it looks strange to me..

2. a) Some things are anti-aliased and some are not, personally I'd go without AA.
2. b) If you have to use anti-aliasing, don't overdo it, currently it's quite blurred.

3. The post-it notes looks strange when their sizes differ like that.

4. You use a lot of noise for textures, again a personal thing, but I'd prefer to see patterns instead, or just a single clean color.

5. Try making more use of highlighted edges instead of just outlines, sorta like on top of the chair.
It gives everythinga more fresh look.

6. Don't be afraid of making things larger, especial the wooden strips between the wall and the floor, the door, frames on the corkboard, etc.
(actually the door frame seems to be missing)

7. The text on the notes, etc, looks quite odd. Try using a lighter color, and some AA in between could help.

It's quite a list but I hope it's helpful :)

edit: A second look at your image (and an attempt at an edit) tells me you're using way too many colors and anti-aliasing on basically everything which makes it look too undefined. It must also be really hard to work with and take hours to add all that AA.
Try reducing the amount of colors, less is more. Also a bit more contrast between colors would also be good make it look extra clear and crisp.
You want some things to popup out at you, right now everything feels too subtle.

Some things you should keep in mind, use less colors and try to add depth where you can, like edges popping out, the door for example can be pushed a bit deeper into the wall, the strips of wood down on the walls can be made to look thicker, the edge of the desk can protrude a bit above the drawers and the window can also be pushed a bit deeper into the wall.
You have a huge room but you're being a bit too minimalistic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:49:07 am by Seiseki »

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 08:56:40 am
It's quite a list but I hope it's helpful :)
[...]
It must also be really hard to work with and take hours to add all that AA.

This is fantastic Seiseki, thank you very much for spending your time.
Great Tips, ill keep working on them for now and see if i can realise them :D
And yes, it took me a whole day for that  :crazy:

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:00 pm
Ok, did some changes to the office and for now I'm more statisfied ;)
Some decorations are missing but will follow soon.
Just tried to turn off the AA and im fine with that :)

Older one                                                             Newer one

This is a link to the bigger newer version
http://s1.directupload.net/images/110922/e2rrohoz.png

So long,
Lorath

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 04:17:24 pm
Long time ago now and got a bigger update in my pocket :D
Had alot to do and right now im very contented with my results. I hope someone
can give me some critics.

Pictures:
PC Administration and the phone with name index
Game menu and letter deposit
A postcard from the corkboard

Dont care about the text, mixed language and also dummy... they will be added in the coding
The only point i dont like is the wooden texture of the drawer and also the screwdriver :S
Messed with them alot -.-

So long,
Lorath

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 01:51:17 am
Nice stuff!
The one thing I notice is that something looks strange with that drawer, something with the shading..
It looks like the items are floating somehow, at least the floppy disk, and I don't think it's deep enough..