AuthorTopic: Pink Dragon  (Read 8009 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Pink Dragon

on: May 20, 2006, 04:27:12 pm
I've been to work:

http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/DragonB.PNG

Argh!:

Argh! (with backgorund):

Trying to work with a limited palette. Obviously pretty WIPped, as it needs alot of cleaning up, but I like it so far.
He's sad because he's not finished! I guess I'm really looking for opinions on the overall form and stuff, and how to go about finishing this. Background? No? New palette? No palette (I like a challenge)? Crit me with whatever you've got, I dare you!

Mainly I think it's the wings that need the most work (colour wise), as I'm honestly pretty happy with the body. So, yeah... yay!

UPDATE:
Christ, I'm tired of looking at this one. fed up with attempting the background, so what you see above is the best my frustrated mind has been able to produce to date. This is not pretty, and I am quite displeased by it... :(

Anyway, crits, comments, all that stuff. Still looking for 'em! ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:12:58 pm by Tremulant »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Pink Dragon

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 05:04:38 pm
did a quick edit, since it was too cool not to and you did ask for crits:

i felt that the anatomy was perhaps oversimplified, and could be more realistic.  fixed a few things that i felt needed fixing, mainly muscle structure, though im no expert and since its a dragon, you can ignore a few or all of them if you want
added the highlight color to the wings to make them a bit more interesting, though if you want translucent wings then i went the wrong way with the highlighting (i worked as though they were opaque)

take it or leave it, its just a quick working of suggestions:

edit ----------------- yours

wings make me think of cabbage
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 05:06:31 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 07:53:16 pm
Pretty sweet stuff there. I think the shoulders are weee bit too round though. Adrias made a nice edit with those highlights, those should probably stay. The feet and head of the beast are quite cool btw.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 09:30:53 pm
Updelerated with use of Adarias' edit as the main reference ('cause it's amazing). Most of it is still kind arough though... I just kinda maybe saved over the original a bit, and thought I'd updated w/ what I have now (Thanks again, Adarias, 'cause I used your post of the original to recover it). It got darked by IE when icopied it though, but still...

The wings were meant to be opaque, I think, and definitely are now, cause the highlights are where I (hopefully) would have taken it. Your placement was great though, so I used it as a guide to a pretty big degree.

What about a Background? Any ideas on that're appreciated, cause I'm stuck. I was thinking maybe just clouds or something, but I'm trying not to take anything away from the dragon if that's at all possible (the colours I was using did that...).

Still very WIPped, but thanks guys! You're much help as always.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 09:35:28 pm
What about a Background?

two-tone green clouds, like as if Out of this World (the game) minimal and fitting, supporting the theme and not too complicated.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 10:35:14 pm
seems like it should be breathing fire or something of that nature. Great work btw ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:50:01 am
great dithering and motion, i second the motion for two-tone green clouds!

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 03:51:08 am
What about a Background?

two-tone green clouds, like as if Out of this World (the game) minimal and fitting, supporting the theme and not too complicated.
Thirdeded.  When you do the clouds make sure they match the lightsource somewhat.  That would be awesome. 

His muscles look a bit too young and fit to match his tattered wings and depressed attitude.  Deflate them a tad, and show the ribs, like in Adarias's edit. 

The spinal ridge does not seem to follow the contour of his lower back.  Rather, it doesn't follow the contour of his entire lower body, try and keep it the same general distance.

Also smooth out the AAing of the ridge that separates the bright and dark parts of his tail. 

Looks very dithergasmic.  And we all know that dithergasmic dragons get 100,000 favorites on PixelJoint.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:48 pm
I hate it, but perhaps I'm biased? Updated anyway.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:43:06 pm
The background is a nice touch to the piece. Some areas look odd though, like under its shoulder (where the wing connects to the body) it turns shadowy black, makes it look disconected from the body, I could only tell that it connects there by looking at your previous dragons. Also the thigh looks quite flat now (there seems to be shadows above and below it?) The feet are great, and so is the majority of the wing head and > side of the dragon.

Your clouds are pretty good, they could use some smaller 'pieces' that break off to help smooth the transition from grey to black. As a whole the piece is still quite nice, just some odd bits that still could use some work.