AuthorTopic: First try on this  (Read 2131 times)

Offline 800

• View Profile

First try on this

on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:27 pm
It took me around 50 hours, and I was trying out things and learning along the way. So any criticism is welcome, on colors, general organization, lighting or just the whole thing.
Thanks a lot.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: First try on this

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:35:57 pm
I think it looks great! :D  As for some things I noticed:

- Some buildings have black outlines on the west and north borders, and some have bright ones.  I would stay consistent with one style of bordering (I'd probably suggest making them all bright as opposed to all black)

- The water looks like it needs a bit of work; It looks like it still needs to be brought from the sketch stage into the refined pixel phase.  Same with that little hut and the sand next to it.

- The cars seem to have a few weird outlines near the hood, where the border is more than a single pixel thick.  I assume that was to create some sort of waning look; I suggest that to achieve the same effect (but make it looks a bit cleaner), you simply make the outline more curved (at a very slight curve angle)

- Some of the buildings have smaller detail, some don't.  The pink building doesn't fit with the brick one, because the pink one is almost a flat color, and the brick one has.. bricks :P which add detail.  And on top of that, a (really cool) mural painting.  I noticed this in some smaller elements as well; for example, the vent thing that comes out of the brick building stands out way too much, because it's also a flat color while the brick is not.

Among a few other things.  I still think it needs another pass or two, but this first revision is really a great starting place; it's already mostly done.  It just needs the fixes and details.  On an unrelated note, one detail I really like in your little city is the Bank.  The letters seem a bit crude and blocky, but that view through the window that exposes a teller's counter adds a really nice effect to it :D

Offline 800

• View Profile

Re: First try on this

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:49:58 pm
Thanks for all the input.
I will go over all the borders, making them bright for all the buildings.
The water is sort of tricky, to make it look there is some fluid movement in there, but I will look at some more references to it. The hut, at least the bamboo, looks a little to messy, but that I think that is probably because the detail would be too small for individual pixels, so I might change that all together.
I have to check the car, the border of the hood, I didn't plan on giving them a waning look, but now as you mentioned it, i might give it a try.
The pink was the first I did, the bank and brick were the last I think, so I added detail to those. I think a second pass to add more detail to all the things is a really good idea.
I wasn't so sure about the bank, but as you like it, I'll fix the letters and add some more details.
Again, thanks for all the input.