AuthorTopic: Drawing in Photoshop - outline followed by a fill...  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Josh1billion

• View Profile

Drawing in Photoshop - outline followed by a fill...

on: August 07, 2011, 02:50:26 am
Hey guys,

I've been doing some of my own art for my games recently.  I draw in Photoshop with a Wacom Bamboo tablet.

One thing that's been tripping me up lately is flood-filling an area after I draw an outline.  For example, if I wanted to draw an orange, I would first draw a black outline of a circle with my tablet, and then flood-fill the inside with an orange color.  The problem I've been experiencing has to do with the anti-aliasing of it all: whenever I execute this flood fill, there's always a space of emptiness between the border and the filled color.

What settings do I need to change to make the fill more accurate?  I've set my flood fill's anti-alias on (off doesn't help either), I've tried increasing the Tolerance, but nothing seems to help.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Drawing in Photoshop - outline followed by a fill...

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:04 am
I'd like to know this as well. I've managed to fill the gap with high tolerance and AA, but it often destroys the outer-AA of the shape in doing so.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:29:36 am
It's easier to just use layers (then you can just fill using 'sample merged' [GIMP terminology] and a high tolerance, without any destruction -- only parts of the fill that will be visible will be the ones that aren't hidden by the lines). Alternatively, you can probably use 'behind' mode to fill achieve a similar effect. There are other modes, like Darken, that might work for you, depending on your workflow, but I disrecommend them.)

My understanding is, though, that among (semi-)professionals, it's quite common to do a totally messy brushed fill (going beyond the lines) and clean it up later by using a floodfill with only the lines layer visible, and the colors layer active (so the lines layer provides the masking information, and the BG is painted onto the colors layer). Or similarly using magic wand then Clear, if the background needs to be transparent.

Apparently there is also something called 'flatting tools' (well, the GIMP version is called that -- I know it was based on a Photoshop plugin) which does an automatic 'color-coded' fill -- a new layer with each contiguous area filled with a unique color, auto-extended under the lines until there is no 'empty space'). If you do toony stuff, this might make you happy.
Link -- also includes link to the Photoshop plugins.

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:10 pm
On your Paths window there should be several icons in the lower area. The two on the left are especially useful, "Fill Path with Foreground Color" and "Stroke Path with Brush". Select the path you want to fill and hit Fill Path.  :)
EDIT: Just realized I misread. Probably raster rather than vector art. Duh.
I actually just clean up by hand in most cases. It doesn't yield perfect results, but it's less technical than using the pen tool and all that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:15:22 pm by michelcote »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:19:27 pm
I tried the layers method with the fill bucket option "all layers" and it still creates the halo effect around outlines :(

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:36:41 pm
If you want to fill an anti-aliased shape hit it with the Magic Wand first (AA turned on, threshold 30-50, contiguous, just default settings) then go to Select > Modify > Expand, punch in probably about a 4-8px value, then flood fill with Paint Bucket, or just hit ALT or CTRL BACKSPACE.

Michelote, I don't think anyone's talkin' about vectors.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:40 pm
If you want to fill an anti-aliased shape hit it with the Magic Wand first (AA turned on, threshold 30-50, contiguous, just default settings) then go to Select > Modify > Expand, punch in probably about a 4-8px value, then flood fill with Paint Bucket, or just hit ALT or CTRL BACKSPACE.

Michelote, I don't think anyone's talkin' about vectors.
Ya that's what I've ended up doing.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:03:26 pm
3 possible problems:

1) The line you draw is anti-aliased
2) The fill tool has anti-alias on (you say this is the case but it does nothing which points towards #1)
3) something completely different.

Maybe an example of the failed fill would help to shed some light on this.

Edit: Well I read it again and it seems you do indeed use soft brushes and no hard pixels.
Truth be told, you're shit out of luck here. There's no comfortable standard way, only workarounds since it's nowhere nearly as simple as solid, aliased colors only which you can easily work with on 1 layer.
The semi-transparent pixels make consistent flood fills impossible. It always requires some manual work and adjustments.
What I do is just draw the outlines, magic wand outside them and invert the selection which gives me the shape of whatever I am drawing.
I can then use that as a mask or as a layer with locked transparency for various coloring jobs in a layer below the linework.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:19:49 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix