AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C&C] Skeleton guard  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

[WIP] [C&C] Skeleton guard

on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:46 am
This was something I did for fun. I'll add on to it later.

Critique is welcome, and I used Photoshop to do this, so please fix any close colors if there are some.

To come later:
Hats
Weapons
More shields

Thanks!  :yay:

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C&C] Skeleton guard

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:55 am
Very nice idea, some sort of mummy guard form egyptian piramid.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:41:19 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36:49 pm
It's supposed to be more of a volcanic, ashy-looking skeleton. Charred, burned, etc. Another update, this time with silly apparel!  :lol:

...And a sword. :u

The weapons were hard to distinguish from the rest of the skeleton, so I made a new palette for them. I might brighten it and take away a little saturation. I also took away a very blurry part in the belt, which I didn't realize I did until after I posted.

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:52 am

Gave him some more stuff. I'm probably going to start building some tiles around the central theme. :o

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:52:47 am
First thing. Tophat and monocle win.

Anyway, it's pretty nice overall. Two things that bug me: the shield looks like it's facing directly in front of him. That'd be fine... if he wasn't standing up without a stance or anything like that. So either give him more of a stance (maybe for the display), or reposition the shield (and the sword while you're at it, to imply more weight rather than having it stick out at a 90 degree angle. Nobody holds a sword like that) to a more natural location. Imagine where you'd hold a shield if you weren't standing at the ready, if that helps at all. The second is that his feet are tiny. I dunno if that's part of the style or not (if it is, feel free to ignore me), but I feel like they could use a little widening.

Looking forward to those tiles. Don't be afraid to breathe some saturated colors into them, either!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:54:40 am by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:07 am
Tiny feet are in the style. It's sort of chibi. Idk :u
Anyways, update. made the weapon palette brighter to stand out more, and slanted the weapon. I also made an idle state. I plan to edit it (the idle state) more later. Finally, I organized the placement of things and made it a little prettier.  :crazy:

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:49 am
There we go! Awesome.

My only complaint at this point is that the weapon is now hard to distinguish from the body until you get down to the point... the readability there is meh. One solution is making it a different color, but then you might lose the ashy volcanic feeling to it, which I'm certain you'd like to keep. Another thing you might try is outlining it a little bit.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:18:17 am

Made a more casual but not idle stance, and made an on-guard stance, as well as a spear.
This spear actually does well to contrast from the rest of the body. I also made two new hats. :o

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:04 am
I like the character design--or at least what I can see of it, it's a little hard to make out right now--but it's lacking personality. Your latest idle pose ("casual" pose) did improve that by some amount, and could even be used for idle maybe. It's buried under heaps of accessories that make it difficult to see under. Well, unless it's going to be viewed at a higher-res scale like 2x or even 4x, in which case it's fairly more readable, even more fitting, so I wouldn't have a problem with that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:54:50 pm by pistachio »

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:38:20 pm
I might start working on some animations now. This guy originally wasn't really intended to do anything, just stand there (like a guard) and look alive, I guess. :u