AuthorTopic: monster hunter bosses  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Cytric Acid

• View Profile

monster hunter bosses

on: July 25, 2011, 10:08:35 pm
Hi Pixelation! I'm quite new, so please excuse any awkwardness.
i've been working on some side scroller-eque pixel art of the bosses in monster hunter, starting with the lagiacrus. He's one of my favorite bosses, and especially one of my favorites to fight. (though i haven't fought him in a long itme!)
so, here's a Lagiacrus.

the only thing i'm really proud of is the head and the back foot, hehehehe. the rest is sub-par, in my opinion. i would love some crits on the shading and whatnot.

here's my main reference.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100718011330/monsterhunter/images/0/09/Lagiacrus-Concept.png
thank you for your time. I'm planning on animating this too, but not until it looks good, heheheh.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: monster hunter bosses

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:03:29 am
This is great! I love the breaks in the outline to suggest lighting, and the fact that you're not afraid to throw in some really saturated colors (most people don't think of robin's egg blue when they're making a beefy, scary monster, even if it's serpentine and obviously water-related). The palette choice is excellent overall, between the nice tan of the underbelly, the blue of its skin and the red bone and detailing (EDIT: Ah, it didn't occur to me until now that Monster Hunter is in fact a game, and that I have heard it before. Still, though, god job overall).

The only thing I can see right off of the bat is that it's front leg doesn't match up with its hind leg. They look as if they're on slightly different planes from one another.

Good stuff!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:05:05 am by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:45:35 am
Hello and welcome to Pixelation!  :)

Looks like you have a great grasp of clean pixelling, very nice.

Few things I see:

Main issue I see is wonky perspective...

Yellow shows mid-lines of forms, magenta lines show axes (as far as I can see them). You want axes being generally parallel (in a neutral pose) in orthogonal view, or converging to vanishing point in perspective. Mid-lines should be off-centred from the middle of the form based upon the incident angle of the viewer to the primary spatial axes (wow, sentence!). I know that sounded like weird abstract babble... even to me... what I mean is, if your view angle is straight-on to the side platformer-style, then your view angle is at 90 degrees to the plane the monster is on, so the midlines cannot be seen at all (they are sitting right on the outline). The fact you have midlines showing (ignoring the tail, since its wavering around in is own direction) means either the monster is not alined to the plane that the game is set on, or your view angle is not meant to be 90 degrees. But looking at the spines on the body of the monster, we cannot see the far spines (since there two rows of them in the reference), which implies a 90 degree view angle.

SO! It's a mixed perspectve! Wow that was long winded. Either you need to reorient the neck and head so their midlines aren't showing, or you need to reorient the body to match a kind of 3/4 platformer perspective. I have done a kind of mix of both in my edit below.

Next thing is contrast or pop. Feels like there could be more brights in there to keep the sprite out of midtones territory.

Actually I think that's all the points! Here is my (very rough) edit:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:08:39 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Cytric Acid

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:17 am
thanks, i never thought that adding another highlight would make it look much more... scaly and leviathan like! XD;
anyways, thanks for your crit. i'm gonna be redoing some of the legs, i removed half of them so i'll try to keep in mind the perspective. i added the other side of the spikes, i must've forgotten that, hehehe!

i still don't like the front leg and the tail, though. and the neck looks odd to me. i see a bit of banding on the red horns too, so i'm gonna fix that (before it breaks my brain)
the problem is, i can't seem to let it have a slight birds eye view with the legs and have it look as if he's laying on the ground. (that, and i absolutely love how i did the back leg and i will cry if i have to redo it) the front leg is giving me lots of problems, this is probably what... my fifth revision? and i can't seem to find a pose that looks natural and not weird.
i also notice banding on the nose too, i'll go and fix that too. thanks again c: