AuthorTopic: GR#064 - RPG Sprites  (Read 10266 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: knockin' some rust off

Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 01:47:08 am
It's a very nice sprite. Computer displays aren't going to get any blurrier in the future, if anything they'll get sharper. Banding becomes more of an issue for the modern pixel artist. Something to consider.

Ah, the precision and consciousness of your values into groups are masterful as one would expect. Im happy that you have shown me some of its execution on this piece. Im afraid my second sprite suffers from 'blurriness' much moreso than the first. ill have to attempt a pass on it to see if i cant mitigate that.

edit: So i took a pass on the second one to see if i could help simplify it a bit and perhaps make it a bit more readable in the process. Its definitely an artform in itself :). i need to practice this a good bit im thinking before i can feel comfortable doing it more effectively.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:41:48 am by st0ven »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:01:28 am
That sort of finish is all that's left for me in pixel art, really. The only thing that still excites me about what pixels do. Your second pass is stronger in terms of readability and sharpness for sure. I can parse the sprite at lesser zooms, some of the embroidery and flash is gone but it's not a huge detriment. Have you thought about pushing some of the values apart through tints and contrast? The darkest color you're using for separations, especially.

Offline NickZA

• View Profile
    • Handcrafted Games

Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 12:11:57 pm
Yep as helm says, more readable, and yet now I miss the elaboration of form on the armour which you originally had. Hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of making some small edits:

(Less gold under chin, taller visible area of breastplate, changed his right shoulder highlight and touched a pixel in his left mail skirting.)