AuthorTopic: Move on or tweak?  (Read 2933 times)

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Move on or tweak?

on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:05 am
Started this in the palette challenge thread and kept going to this point.  Still feels like it's missing something but I'm not sure what...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Move on or tweak?

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:48:43 am
I'd quite avoid dithered background below a pixel-sized font. That introduces really weird artifactS.
If the palette allows it, I'd shift the tone of the pyramid towards cold, distant colours as you get closer to the top. You did it well with the stairs. Maybe some black could help (?) as your dark purple isn't such dark.

Offline Kragagam

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:13:15 pm
That sign is really funky for me, something about the angles, doesn't feel like it's cutting it for me.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:02:38 pm

I really like your concept and your setting, because of this I made an edit

I overdrew nearly all, the only thing I had no idea about what it is was the gauge in the upper left corner.

1) play with the colors, color management and light/shadows (take a look at the edit and compare, i added you the palette)

2) you can also use some techniques like Antialiasing, it doesn't hurt

3) less colors are good, but you can use more if you get a better effect with it. I used 8, still less enough but a more vibrant impression.

4) you can also play with the positions of the stars to add an additional effect

5) I also overworked the textbox, compare the readability

6) sometime less is more

There are still some rough parts in my edit, but all in all it shows you a direction in which you could go.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 01:49:06 am
Thanks so much Cyangmou!  Very helpful edit!  ;D