Poll

is My sig too big that its annoying/distracting?

yes.
22 (55%)
no.
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 39

AuthorTopic: My sig  (Read 10678 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

My sig

on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:34 am
everyones sigs here are pretty minimalistic and often just nothing, which is something Ive never really seen at a forum especially one based on an art form.

when I first registered here I had a pretty big sig (i think around 300 pixels high) and I got a pm saying it was too big, so I removed it, recently I made the one you see today and I got pmed explaining this one is too big also. well everywhere else Ive used this sig, and my much bigger version fits within restrictions fine.

so yeah, since there are no official rules or guidelines about signature size limits I'd just like to know if everyone is ok with it ;)

edit-
and please feel free to say what size you'd prefer signatures to be, it may help the admins come up with some rules or atleast a few more people have a size in mind when making a sig to use here

edit-
Ive got a new smaller sig now, below is the one this topic was about:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:19:47 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: My sig

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 09:25:50 am
if it were up to me there'd be no sigs at all. What use is forcing people to see the same image after every one of one's posts? An avatar has the use of letting people quickly know who is writing, and that's fine. But why do I have to scroll-through big signatures over that?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 09:28:29 am
well helm, there is an option in your profile not to view other users sigs ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 09:29:21 am
But there's that fine line where I am interested in sigs that link to websites and do use them sometimes.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:35:59 am
well, fair enough.
I certainly can understand why, but Im not quite sure people here have refrained from having sigs simply because very few people have much of a sig and a lack of related guidelines, or because they feel the same way

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:46:03 am
i dont see the point in sigs, but just because i ignore something doesnt make it bothersome or offensive.  do what you like
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:09:46 am
but Im not quite sure people here have refrained from having sigs simply because very few people have much of a sig and a lack of related guidelines, or because they feel the same way

not sure either. Guess the poll might give an estimate? But we I hope can agree that other art fora where people post an one-liner that takes 30 pixels and their sig follows with 3 images ( be them nice images or not) that cover 350 pixels is a big nono. This forum will always (well, as long as I draw breath, and I think pep feels the same way) be content-based, so pretty pictures or no in signatures, aren't the point.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:51:04 pm by Helm »

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:50:11 pm
Just to throw in my two cents, I don't mind signature pics as long as they're under about 30-50px tall, any bigger and having to scroll past it all the time starts to get a bit annoying.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 06:17:50 pm
everyones sigs here are pretty minimalistic and often just nothing, which is something Ive never really seen at a forum especially one based on an art form.

Thats one thing I like about this place, you aren't bombarded with tons of huge signatures that take up more space than the actual average posts.
Here we focus more on keeping the content the main focus like Helm said, rather than allowing other things like a signature to become too distracting.
Other places also have such restrictions where they say that you can only have 2 or three lines of text, so I don't think asking to keep signatures small is too much to ask.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:21:32 pm
Personally, I think your signature is just barely tolerable. Any bigger and it would be a massive nuisance. But really, I see nothing wrong with having signatures in moderation...it's just on those forums where people have entire books in their siggy or a massive banner or links to a thousand websites. As Helm said, I don't mind when they link to portfolios or something or when the image displays their skill level or something, but to have a signature just for the sake of getting noticed...bleh.