AuthorTopic: GR#065 - Iso RPG Enemies & Tiles  (Read 22687 times)

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

GR#065 - Iso RPG Enemies & Tiles

on: July 19, 2011, 01:55:48 am
Been a while since I've done any pixeling, but now I have the opportunity to do it in relation to my education. Yay!

Random enemies for a small RPG I'll develop during the next 6-9 months.

Any input, and ideas for fun enemies appreciated.

*UPDATE 1/8

*UPDATE 28/7

*UPDATE 26/7

*UPDATE 24/7

*UPDATE 23/7

*UPDATE 21/7

*UPDATE 20/7

*ORIGINAL

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:01:00 am by vedsten »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: RPG enemies

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:48:18 am
I think the one on the right needs a few dark shades in the lighter shadows. I see the only darker color you have is really dark, but I'm sure it'll work somehow.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:01:31 pm
A few more chars.

@Phlakes: I guess it depends on screen settings, it's no really an issue on any of my monitors. Not that they're particularly good tho :o

Cheers

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:05:59 am
Oooh. They're so much lovely  ;D Brilliant colours.

I second on the mushrhomme not working well, but I'm not sure more colours / less contrast is what you need. At least, that's how I tended to address the problems like these so far, but it never works. So I took the opportunity to walk in the steps of Helm (that's him, right ?) and try to think into clusters.

Theory: If your clusters are clean and reflect the shapes, the contrast between the colours do not raise issues. That even works with black/white. I also tried to fix some banding artifacts in the mushroom's hat and toyed a bit with shading under the hat. It certainly still far from being perfect.

One last thing on the mushroom: it's all tinted grey, but same hue while your other characters have strong hue-shift.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:45:30 am
Just quickly, I really love these they look great.
You going to animate?

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 05:10:08 pm
@ Pypebros  ~ Thanks for the input! I don't like what your edit does in terms of conveying shape, but the colors worked wonders!!! They're incorporated, thanks.

@ Decroded ~ Thanks :) Nopes, no animation, too much work!

Also, two extra chars.

Cheers!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: RPG enemies (UPDATE x 2)

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:58:58 pm
Nice to see stuff from you again, had to think of you when I found out that Aliens (the DS one from Wayforward) will come out after all :D

I made a little edit. Mainly addressing some aa, banding and colour things. Seems you work in Photoshop or something. You had a bunch of useless dupes and close colours and such.

If you have more questions about the edit just ask :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:49 pm
@ Pypebros  ~ Thanks for the input! I don't like what your edit does in terms of conveying shape (...)

Yeah. Me neither. I tried and failed, but maybe I've progressed a little bit. I'd dare to say there is still a nasty banding effect at the bottom of both mushrooms that should be dealt with.

... the colors worked wonders!
Glad I've helped  ;D
Eager to see more. I really love the new ones as well ^_^

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:37 pm
Well, I'm glad people were motivated enough to make edits on your sprites, they're very neat =) I wouldnt have seen them otherwise, I'm seeing that stupid imageshack yellow frog in your original post =/

I dont really have a crit, I just want to say I love the straightforward look in these, they have a clear volume but they have very pixelly and cartoony things on them like those big shining eyes, hat's off!

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:11 am
UPDATE!

Incorporated input and added a few chars.
I kinda like the skeleton, but I'm not sure it fit's the others due to the amount of minor details. Any thoughts?
Also, a few WIP enemies made their way in.

@Pyrebros ~ Thanks! also I agree on the banding. Actually when I look at it now, I guess there are still some issues, I'll fix in next upload :o

@ptoing ~ what what what !? Aliens is getting released afterall? That's fucking excellent news! I never thought it would see the light of day. Thanks a bunch for the edits, I've incorporated the most obvious improvements (and missed some most likely D:). You're right about the photoshop thing, and it does cause some color issues, I'll give it a major checkup ones I decide I have enough. Also, it's good to be back!

@Conceit ~ Thanks a lot! I've tried using dropbox for uploading this time, does it work ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:59:22 am by vedsten »