AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Casting Skill animation  (Read 7733 times)

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Casting Skill animation

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:42:11 am
@Pistachio :  i don't see how i could move the torso ?  i will try to move the whistle and the sword as you say to see if its good  Thx !

EDIT :

I made some changes :

EDIT2 :

I forgot to tell that this sprite go in a video game and i can't do more than 4 frames for the animation, that's why i can't more frames for a smoother motion.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:36:51 am by metachaos »
*          /!\ Waiting for the singularity /!\            *

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 02:42:22 pm
If you have a large or full-length mirror somewhere around your house I'd suggest taking a minute or two and try to see yourself doing this animation. You might notice that when you do, you personally won't look nearly as stiff and inorganic. Try to figure out why that is; how does your torso swing when you raise your arm like that? What happens to your other arm? Do you adjust your weight on one/both of your feet?

If there's no mirror available, try looking up some reference material here. When you find something that fits your style, play close attention to the changes that the spriter made in each frame of the animation, and how the body moves to adjust to the new position.

I feel your pain, I'm no good at this either, but after a while of tweaking I can usually get it to look acceptable enough. Good luck!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Sigil

• View Profile
    • SugarSpite - Work In Progress

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:22 pm
It might be good to have him "sit" a little as he casts, so there's some vertical motion as well as the side to side.

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 06:43:32 pm
@Olothontor :     I did see myself on a mirror but i don't see the need of rotating torso. 

Let me explain my point : in all Combat sport, the first rule you learn is to avoid having your torso facing your opponent. Why ? Because by doing this your opponent can easily hit your chest.  If you keep in the stance in which my sprite is, it's way harder for your opponent to lend a critical blow to you chest.  Thats why when i'am doing the motion in front of my mirror i don't flip my chest/torso and he keeps being in the same state before and after casting my arm.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 09:39:41 pm
I couldnt help myself and i hope you dont mind too much, but i took the opportunity to do a take on the character to play around with its idle pose and i obviously took some liberties with the palette (and hence the character design).

basically i wasnt really jiving with how the basic pose is structured, simply because it looks like a pose one would take as theyre already cocked up and ready to unleash a sword swing. and while i realize in battle you always want to be at the ready to swing the sword, it might help to have a more neutral pose to transition into and out of other battle animations (such as spell casting). I also gave my guy a smaller sword so that he can support the weight of the weapon more realistically with that one arm. more importantly the torso isnt so blatantly slanted forward, so the weight is more evenly balanced over the hips. again more of a neutral position, probably a bit more natural.

I wanted to also do an alternative pose to suggest some casting stance alternatives for you but i havent the time for it today unfortunately.

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 06:06:39 pm
Thank you very much for the edit, i see what you mean by the more natural stance and balancing.

Seeing your edit make me counscious of the anatomic problems my sprite has. I'am stuck because i already did a lot of animatiosn for the game and can't go back now with a style like yours  :(

i'll try to go later on with some things like you did.