AuthorTopic: [WIP][Small] Submarine  (Read 3011 times)

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

[WIP][Small] Submarine

on: July 20, 2011, 05:44:02 pm
Hi. I'd like some (constructive) criticism on this little bit of pixel art I made. It's still work-in-progress stage.

A few notes:
- I'm not very happy with the cloud.
- There are drops behind the sub, which are meant to have been thrown up by its propeller. Is that obvious enough?
- I haven't done anything to the sea yet, but I plan to eventually.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][Small] Submarine

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:39:12 pm

First maby would you consider to work for submarine shape?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:13:51 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:02:06 pm
If that's my pallete on the left, it has a ton of colors I never used. I'm ignoring the palletes comment as it doesn't seem to make any sense. Unless it's something about the file format/makeup/saving options, in which case I haven't seen any options for anything like that in the program I use. (I used Grafx2) Also, I only used 9 distinct colors, not counting the yellow for the arrows. That pallete has way more than nine or ten. Perhaps your software is somehow picking up all the colors I ever put into the file, even if they were deleted again? I don't know, and frankly I don't really care. I want critique on my art, not critique on how I saved my image. >_<

Offline Yuri

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:29:28 pm
Indeed there's no issue with the palette, you could use a png cleaner utility to tidy up the palette compression for production but at this point it isn't useful.
The drops behind the sub are way too high, it would make more sense to make white bubbles about 2-3 pixels underwater.
The sub hull shape is pretty good but why is there 2 conning towers?
About the clouds, try to make the color fade in more with the sky (less white).

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:10:35 pm
The two "conning towers" are actually supposed to be a conning tower in front and a periscope on back... I forgot that the periscope goes on the conning tower itself. :P