AuthorTopic: pixel art articles project  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: pixel art articles project

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 04:33:30 am
I was just doing some research myself, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_home_computers_by_video_hardware provides a useful overview, once you filter out the irrelevant machines.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 05:10:10 am
No it should not be omitted, but it should not be put on a golden pedestal of untouchableness either. That would just be wrong. Let's not mystify things, please.

As far as restrictions goes I have written quite a bit about that in the non-exhaustive restrictions thread, which I am too lazy to search now, just search for "exhaustive" and you should find it.

I have it bookmarked ^-^

Offline matt0

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:00 am
Nice one, that restrictions thread is going to come in handy.

After giving things a bit of thought I'm ditching the idea of splitting the articles into catagories and covering 3 games each article. I'll probably just do a seperate blog post for each game I want to cover, that way if I run out of steam what I do manage to write can stand alone and won't come across as a fragment of a bigger project that never got finished. It'll give me a bit more breathing room to talk about hardware limitations in the context of each game for the early stuff and it does away with any potential awkwardness from having that 8-bit/16-bit distinction in there (in case I decide to cover games on the PC Engine or mid to late 80s arcade games etc. that can muddy the waters).

Also, after a bit of research I realised that there aren't many 8-bit home computer games that still interest me visually - I had Knightlore down as a cert. but looking at it now, it's kind of bland... any suggestions for C64/CPC/Spectrum (or other formats) games that people still think stand up today would be very welcome - I'm not going to include arcade ports I'm thinking more format exclusive games that made exceptional use of the limited hardware or games where one format had a definitive version.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 12:25:37 pm
have you looked at BBC micro's Exile? Also, the original Elite is emblematic of an era. Alley Cat, the pc booter game is as iconic to me as Mario is for others. I don't think 8-bit home computers machines should be so separated from 8086 IBM compatibles.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 01:11:25 pm
Nice one, that restrictions thread is going to come in handy.

After giving things a bit of thought I'm ditching the idea of splitting the articles into catagories and covering 3 games each article. I'll probably just do a seperate blog post for each game I want to cover, that way if I run out of steam what I do manage to write can stand alone and won't come across as a fragment of a bigger project that never got finished. It'll give me a bit more breathing room to talk about hardware limitations in the context of each game for the early stuff and it does away with any potential awkwardness from having that 8-bit/16-bit distinction in there (in case I decide to cover games on the PC Engine or mid to late 80s arcade games etc. that can muddy the waters).

Also, after a bit of research I realised that there aren't many 8-bit home computer games that still interest me visually - I had Knightlore down as a cert. but looking at it now, it's kind of bland... any suggestions for C64/CPC/Spectrum (or other formats) games that people still think stand up today would be very welcome - I'm not going to include arcade ports I'm thinking more format exclusive games that made exceptional use of the limited hardware or games where one format had a definitive version.

Well, if you're looking at graphics, You have to include CPC ZapTBalls (gorgeous graphics + ridiculously competent use of the video hardware).
I can mainly comment on CPC games:

* Fairlight (but not its sequel)
* Cauldron 2
* Addams Family
* If 'demo-games' count, Xyphoes fantasy is pretty impressive (I mean in an art sense ; putting aside the technical impressiveness.)
* Switchblade probably has to be on here. (IMO the CPC version was best executed -- which is strange when you consider the original version was on Amiga)
* Head over Heels is brilliantly executed (probably the best iso game, esp WRT graphics)
* Sorcery Plus is worth a mention
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.