AuthorTopic: [16x16][C&C] House Tileset  (Read 12998 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

[16x16][C&C] House Tileset

on: July 16, 2011, 07:41:08 pm
So I'm working on a game, it's still in a very early phase, but I'm doing a few bits and pieces here and there.

I made a few tiles for a house, the grass, walls and flowers are just temporary tiles though. (the wall is just a resized floor tile)
And since I've learned a few things about contrast and sharpness since coming here, I'm gonna go back and re-do the entire tileset.

A few issues I know about this mockup:
Bad bad contrast.
De-saturated, washed out colors.
Perhaps slightly noisy in some parts (cliff side)

I'm gonna re-do it in a more modern and colorful style and I'd love if anyone could point out any larger faults in this current style and some hints for colors and such.

The way I do it when selecting the color for the shading is just pick a color, make it darker, more de-saturated and shift the hue towards blue.
Obviously that's not working out very well :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:40:21 am by Seiseki »

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: [16x16][C&C] House Tileset

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:04:27 pm
Your worst color choice was the grass. Grass is really hard and I'm still not really sure how to pick the color for it. But I'd also say that, generally, in this piece you don't have dark enough darks so it all looks pretty flat

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:01:14 pm
The biggest issue I see is there are a bunch of colors that are very similar. Here is the palette sorted by brightness.

All those browns could be simplified to a few colors. This goes the same with the greens, blue, and orange. Too many colors with not enough range makes the image feel muddy and lacking in contrast. Lowering your color count will go a long way in making it easier to tweak your palette and get better results.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:12:52 pm
Wow, that image is very informative..
The large palette comes mostly from having shadows and a bit of soft shading in a layer on top, so that's not strictly pixel art.

Haha, but man, that palette looks like a horrible mess!
And I'll have to say, I'm not used to having an organized palette, I just make up colors as I go.
So I think that's one thing I really have to improve.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:14:32 am
@ AnnIshman =
The reason why the palette is "that" way is because this image seems to be assembled together piece by piece of what it seems to be ripped content from various snes-like games.

The image is first set up as 24bit colors so when each piece is pasted it won't lose any color, and then once all the pieces have been mashed together, it is decreased to 256 colors, and ta-da! it can be thrown inside programs that only support 256 colors, like cm1999 or used in old game making programs like Rpgmaker 2003. The browns you see there are just simply generated automatically by the computer.

@ Seiseki =
Hey, what's going on in here man? why are you using ripped content and not making your own?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:10:23 am
I'm sorry but you're wrong :P
This is a mock-up I made from tiles that I've made my self.

NOTE: If you actually right click the image and select properties it says 24-bit too, so, just saying..

By saying it's from various snes games you're giving me way too much credit :P
Also what's the point of doing that and then asking for criticism?

Here's a mashup of my 3 current tilesets, interior, buildings and terrain.
As I said, the palette was messed up because of the soft shadow, and there might also be some overlay going on in the mock-up.

I'm not sure how to check the palette, though, but this image shouldn't have any extra colors other than the ones painted by hand.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:22:25 am by Seiseki »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:00:31 am
Started this edit (pretty rushed) mainly for my own learning as first time doing 16x16 tiles.
Only got to work on a few bits but would love to spend more time on it (especially the cliff tiles) for practice.
Hope you get something out of it.

=>

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:01:09 pm
Ohhh, nice work! Great contrast! You managed to make a pretty good grass tile too!
Reminds me that my stone blocks might be a bit too even and clean.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 01:20:02 pm
Thanks yeah, my fave bit is the little highlights on the windows I've never tried that before :-D
I was a bit rushed before, I was going to say I was studying this as a reference for the grass tiles

I read this this a while ago http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_de-mystifying_greats_1.php but have never had a chance to have a go.
Obviously the original is much better but practice makes better.
Inspiring stuff really, the beach tiles there are insanely good.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:40 pm
I'm sorry but you're wrong :P
This is a mock-up I made from tiles that I've made my self.

NOTE: If you actually right click the image and select properties it says 24-bit too, so, just saying..

By saying it's from various snes games you're giving me way too much credit :P
Also what's the point of doing that and then asking for criticism?

I'm not sure how to check the palette, though, but this image shouldn't have any extra colors other than the ones painted by hand.

Haha that was a test of integrity. Didn't meant to actually accuse you of stealing... if I did I would have hit the report button instead.  ;D Good work... a few twists here and there as you saw in the edit from Decroded and you're in the right direction!  :y: About the color problems... Charamaker1999 fixes this issue by selecting "scan colors used" which eliminates all of the extra colors from the image that aren't used... more like color defragmentation / cleanup. :)