AuthorTopic: [WIP]Anime style  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

[WIP]Anime style

on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:47 am

Lol July 17, 2011. it's been awhile since i posted here but here's a update... yeah i know im still not done its been too long.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:08:40 am by Southend_boi »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Anime style HUD

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:38:07 am
Problems I can see so far:

Muscles are way too pronounced on the male. They almost seem separated from his body, and, now that I think of it actually look like breast implants.

Little to no foreshortening on the sprites' left side of the face; this makes the face seem to be facing front, while the head almost seems like a side view, judging by the way the jawline is pronounced, and perhaps the way the head is attached to the neck. The forehead seems to bulge unnaturally, which only heightens the effect.

The proportions of the male and female face are near identical, which doesn't make sense really, and I could easily mistake one for another.

Noses don't really strike me as anime; while I can tell you're not going for a modern look (where the bridge of the nose isn't drawn), anime noses are usually smaller than this, and the nostrils are usually not drawn or very small.

Your palette is just mainly straight ramps from light to dark, which makes for a boring skintone among other things. And considering the style you're going for, a cel-shaded approach might look interesting, and perhaps fitting.

One last tip; don't be afraid to use reference for what you're doing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:47:40 am by pistachio »

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Anime style

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:29 am
bump... with a update.  :y:

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31:42 am
First off: big improvement. I'm glad to see you don't have peoples' chests up by their necks anymore. Heh. Your color choices are also much better.

The sprites look pretty good, but the portraits need some work. With a style like anime, less is generally more. Shading all of those muscles in the neck is just unnecessary, and it looks really weird with such a simple face. There's also a lot of anti-aliasing (to the point where I was almost convinced that it wasn't pixel art) on the middle portraits; it's starting to look fuzzy. I would tone it back a little.

Other than that... I'm not a fan of that spiky, angular shonen look like you see on stuff like DBZ or Yu-Gi-Oh, so I can't really comment a whole lot.

Only real crit I have about the sprites: one of the girl's boobs is about twice as big as the other one, which looks to be the right size. A sprite this size will never be sexy, so there's no need to have huge boobs.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:43:37 am
About the boob thing, it would make more sense if it were the breast that were closer to the screen (alternative breast.) It is a great improvement from the previous work although I'm not entirely sure of what the goal of these sprites are. If you're trying to do a side scroller the perspective is good, if you're trying to do an MMORPG it would be rather difficult and you should switch to top-down perspective.

As stated above the portrait is much more complex than the actual sprites, but even then anime is never complicated when it comes to their shading. They usually only have two shades, skin color and then shadow on the skin, they don't really go into great detail that we do with pixel art. I feel that the portrait fits best in the anime genre but as Star said, the neck is highly detailed. You can fix this by taking out the lines on the neck and just leaving that shading but honestly it looks fine to me, you would just need to remove some of the negative space on the forehead.

Other than that, the base itself is alright but the head is extremely large in comparison to the body, the head also has a very straight affect to it. If you round it out to look more like your SW,SE states it would look a lot better with depth.

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:27 am
About the boob thing, it would make more sense if it were the breast that were closer to the screen (alternative breast.) It is a great improvement from the previous work although I'm not entirely sure of what the goal of these sprites are. If you're trying to do a side scroller the perspective is good, if you're trying to do an MMORPG it would be rather difficult and you should switch to top-down perspective.

As stated above the portrait is much more complex than the actual sprites, but even then anime is never complicated when it comes to their shading. They usually only have two shades, skin color and then shadow on the skin, they don't really go into great detail that we do with pixel art. I feel that the portrait fits best in the anime genre but as Star said, the neck is highly detailed. You can fix this by taking out the lines on the neck and just leaving that shading but honestly it looks fine to me, you would just need to remove some of the negative space on the forehead.

Other than that, the base itself is alright but the head is extremely large in comparison to the body, the head also has a very straight affect to it. If you round it out to look more like your SW,SE states it would look a lot better with depth.
I'm not actually making any type of game i'm just making a do all base that can be placed in a rpg game an a sidescroller i just haven't made the east and west... i honestly don't know how i'll make the east and west states that's why they're still incomplete.

The head of the base is the size it is now mainly because of hair... the size of the head is mainly for guidelines once i create the hair styles i want. The hair will probably start 1-2 pixels above the eyes. I've tried to round out the head like my sw/se states but it just doesn't look right once i add hair hopefully people won't notice how weird it looks.