AuthorTopic: [WIP] Adventurer sprite  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Adventurer sprite

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 02:44:53 pm
Looks nice. Koyot, your versions have 9 frames. What's the idea behind that?
My mistake sorry :) Two doubled frames.  

8 frames

Different timing

This animation is so beautiful so its even looking great in 6 frames ;)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:53:06 pm by Koyot1222 »

Offline pulsecode

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 02:54:31 pm
Cool Koyot!
Still, i probably should have explained what i meant about the floppyness a bit better!
What i meant was, the minimum travel up or down is 1 pixel, and as a percentage of his total height, thats more travel than i would want.
It's not supposed to be a floppy cloth hat y'see. Still, nice edit though :)

Right-o! I've been tinkering with some small items for him to collect.
I'll animate the gems to sparkle at some point. Not all of the fruit has turned out exactly as i'd like. But lets see what you folks think  :)
Hopefully you can identify what they are all supposed to be... hehe lets see!

EDIT: Also a little coin i forgot to post:

I probably should have named the thread something slightly different as i was kind of planning to post more than just the guy here.
Eventually tiles and what not (when i get time!)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:52:23 pm by pulsecode »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 06:24:13 pm
i think that only the key is little bit too small, rest of the things are quite ineresting. I wonder how the game will gona look like. I was thougt that suppose to look like 16 bit pitfal game, but nice colours of items suggests something diferent. Thats why im very curious how its going to be look like.

Offline pulsecode

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 06:48:26 pm
Yeah, thats a good point Koyote, the key is a bit tiny.
I think i was trying to make it a bit more the same scale as the guy (so it didnt look like he would need 2 hands to use it!) but it might be unworkable in the game if its too small.
I'll have a tinker with a larger version. I actually started with a bigger one, so i have something to go back to.

Hehe well, it is kind of planned to be along the lines of a 16 bit pitfall (pitfall 2 specifically) but i have inspiration from various games, and i didn't want it to all be dark and muddy / cavey.
The plan is to try and achive that sort of exploration vibe that Pitfall 2, Rick Dangerous and games like La-Mulana have too. Fingers crossed  :)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 07:31:06 pm
Extremely impressive, I can totally tell what those things are, although if that's a kiwi, shouldn't it be a bit brighter in the middle?
I agree with the key too, make it diagonal so players can easily recognize it.

If you release this I'll get it just for the pixel art :P

Offline pulsecode

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 07:39:12 pm
Thank you very much Seiseki  :)

Yeah, it is supposed to be half a kiwi. I did try and make the middle lighter, but i was also trying to restrict the pallette a bit. I'll see if i can improve it.
Ah you know, making it diagonal hadn't crossed my mind! I'll have a crack at that later.

For the time being, here are some other key attempts... not all particularly successful.
I tried to make a half step between the key i did first (left most) and the tiny one i posted earlier. hmm..
Also, some gem variations (or one variation but 7 colour copies).

I should probably get back to making the guy jump and fall! I tend to go off on tangents  :P

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:21 am
Those keys are nice, they are a lot easier to recognise. Mine probably little bit worse...

I was looking on last sprites of main hero an i was started to think that maby would you consider to ad some pixel in few spaces. In my opinion hero right now is looking little bit like hes running without pants, or like he suppose to have very short pants, and no shoes.
This is my edit, youll understand probably and youll make it a loot beter :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:03:20 am
Exactly the kind of art I'd love to have for a revamp'd version of Pharaoh's curse (C64) ^_^

Well, I tried to edit the crystals

so that they'd have a more "angular" look, but I'm afraid that's too small for me to handle properly.

Offline Kragagam

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:45 am
Looks nice. Koyot, your versions have 9 frames. What's the idea behind that?
My mistake sorry :) Two doubled frames.  

8 frames

Different timing

This animation is so beautiful so its even looking great in 6 frames ;)

That second one is the best if you ask me, looks more like a jog, more relaxed. The first looks really aggressive and fast, not sure what style you want to go with but that second animation is really smooth and looks very natural to me.

The items looks cool, but I agree with the larger key. It would be really interesting to see a mock-up of this!  ;)

Offline pulsecode

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 09:25:42 pm
Sorry i didnt reply sooner!
I'm in the process of moving house and have no internet there just yet, so i'm back and forth, online and off!
I will post more updates and any new material as soon as i have the time. I'm keen to get more feedback from you all  :)

Koyot, i can see what you mean to an extent. The main reason for picking white shoes was to define the run cycle better. I figured also as it is white (well very close) it wasnt something you could mistake as a bare foot!
White shirt again was for separation so the trousers were nicely defined (and i kinda like the whole white t-shirt thing haha!) so i'm not sure how it could look like he had no pants/trousers on!!

PypeBros, I see you have a few different approaches in there. I definately see what you mean about trying to make it more angular. I'll have a tinker when i get the chance.
I think the way you added the white hilight on to the front face helps, so i'll try and develop that a bit  :)
Ahh yes Pharoh's Curse! There are actually a few games from the C64 that i think i'm inadvertantly drawing inspiration from.
C64 in general had a big influence on me. I should go back in to my library and see what old gems stick out as inspirations  :)

Aaand Kragagam! Once i have some more sprite stuff done (i want to get the jumps sorted before i go off on a tangent with tiles and such if possible) i will start mocking the game itself up.
I do have a pretty solid idea of what i want it all to be like, play style wise, environment settings etc. I'm sure people will have some nice ideas and/or suggestions too  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:21:58 am by pulsecode »