AuthorTopic: [WIP]Sci-fi platform game mock-up.  (Read 11969 times)

Offline capnbubs

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Sci-fi platform game mock-up.

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:53:12 am
Thanks for the help everybody!

I'm happy with where the style and quality is now so we're getting on with getting the game made. I won't be updating this thread anymore.

Thanks again all of you for taking the time to comment and critique my work. I hope you'll like the game when it's finished, keep an eye out for it on tigsource if you're interested it should pop up over there in a couple of weeks.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:28:53 am
I'm happy with where the style and quality is now so we're getting on with getting the game made. I won't be updating this thread anymore.
Well, I hope you'll give EyeCraft's new colours a try: they definitely make the game more attractive and readable to my eye.
Btw, another thing you might want to adjust is the square-ish setup of your dirt corner tiles. Breaking that will make the scene more organic and interesting.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:16 pm
i would agree with pypebros. your spritework looks great, but the level of depth eyecraft put into the background with some key palette choices really livens up the atmosphere. environments make games pretty, not their sprites (though they certainly help)

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 11:31:55 pm
Looks good! Though you say you don't have much experience in pixel art, it looks waay better than anything I've done myself so far. Of course, I have hardly done any. You could say I've never really done much pixel art at all.

Posting to say that I'd love to try out a demo of this sometime. What platform(s) is it going to be on?

Offline capnbubs

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:46 pm
Thanks guys, it's going to be on PC.

I feel like I should justify my palette choices a bit. We're actually going to tint the sprites and fade the background tiles towards a fog colour depending on the time of day and environment settings for the level, so this mockup isn't really an accurate example of the final look. I'll definitely keep all this great advice in mind when we set up the post processing and get the final look of the game.

I was going to stop updating this thread but since you guys are interested I'll gladly post more shots of the game as it develops.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:44 pm
Please do, definitely interested in this sexy artwork.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 03:08:55 am
I like that you're posting updates. Is it going to be free or a purchase? Or do you not know?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:10:32 am by malkomk »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 05:20:41 am
I know its late, but I felt like mentioning that a little variety in the size of your rocks would go a long way to removing the monotony in the rocky parts. I really quickly edited about 3,4(?) tiles to give you an idea. I saw your post about not updating, so if this isn't relevant anymore, well, it took almost no time so that's fine.

Cool animation, BTW. Very charming and personable, something you don't always see.

Offline capnbubs

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 09:49:13 am
I know its late, but I felt like mentioning that a little variety in the size of your rocks would go a long way to removing the monotony in the rocky parts. I really quickly edited about 3,4(?) tiles to give you an idea. I saw your post about not updating, so if this isn't relevant anymore, well, it took almost no time so that's fine.

Cool animation, BTW. Very charming and personable, something you don't always see.

I really like this actually. We've taken out the fade out to a single colour in favour of a lighting system but I'll still see if I can mix up the sizes a bit on the tiles.

Thanks about the animations, I'm primarily an animator so that's nice to hear =D