AuthorTopic: Lizard Stab Concept Animation & Still  (Read 9839 times)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Lizard Stab Concept Animation & Still

on: May 15, 2006, 10:38:57 pm
[ANIMATION]

[STILL SHOT]

Just showing what I've been working on today. Playing around with some animation and design. I tried keeping the detail on the lizard low to make animating a bit easier. Alot of people have already expressed mixed feelings (mostly negative actually) about its design. Comments ranging from 'boring' to 'impossibly posed' etc. I'm curious about what people here think of the pics.

Here's an old screen shot of a project I was working on (decided to raise the art level thus the above image)...

*blue scan lined bgs were cged

[OLD CREATURES]

-screwed up face, I know
-wrong mouth...
-NOT a chocobo dammit >_>...

[SKILL ICONS]

-fight/item/escape
-claw/kick/vine grasp
-jump/fire-breath
Pretty much any comments, critiques, or questions are welcome....yes it looks like pokemon, no it does not play like pokemon...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Lizard Stab Concept Animation & Still

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:45:39 pm
nice animation =)

the red totally over powers the green. youll have to do something about that.
i think there should be a bit more depth in it(cartoony i know) it seems to be only on 1 or 2 planes.
other than that...

i love it

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:18:25 pm
frankly i tihnk the greens are too far apart, thus making itlook a bit confused.  aside form that i see nothing wrong with this, its really quite nice.  reminds me much of Jade Coccoon
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:28:30 pm
I can't tell if the dark green is supposed to be in shadow or just a different colored skin area. The colors are too similar to be at different depths, as Ryumaru said, so that will confuse it when animated, I think. He has a kind of flat, saturated, Kenneth Fejer-y feeling. That's a good thing.
My only problems with the animation are the way the arm snaps back in preparation for the strike and the way the tail doesn't move smoothly back to its starting position. Also, the foot-claws are at different heights on the colored version.

[cough]Those things look alot like pokèmon.[/cough]

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 11:43:49 pm
@Ryumaru: I think I'll probably reshade him using mvc-shading patterns. That will give him more depth. Too tired to pixel more today though lol.

@Adarias: You aren't the first person who mentioned that. I was trying to bring in more color by using the teal for the shadows. I think I really see colors differently because it seems very contrasted to me. But I will bring the greens closer together and contrast it a bit more more.

@Xion Night: The teal is supposed to be the shadows, apparently it didn't work. I think I see the problem with the arm snapping back, it looks like he's gonna take a swing, but since the lizard is making a piercing strike it shouldn't do that...or perhaps I misunderstood. I'll work on it. As for the tail, I'm not quite sure how to make the transition better. I knew that was a problem when I posted it, however I'm trying to think how to squeeze in another frame properly. The animation is supposed to be linkable with other attacks, and frankly the tail complicates that x.x. Hopefully I can do something about it though.

Thanks for the crits everybody.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 11:54:26 pm
On the design, i like it, but the inner outline color doesn't work, not even at 2x zoom. I'd darken it considerably (between 10-20% lightnesst).

Regarding the animation, i see you've worked on it a lot and made it quite smooth, but i think that punch would be quite uneffective. It only reaches slightly beyond the creature's head, he would have to be really close to the foe to do any damage, and that's unrealistic. He'd have a much better use for the tail or legs, which have much greater reach. To have an effective punch, make the shoulder move way forward with the arm (while the other shoulder moves simmetrically way back, and have the waist rotate significantly), or even make his right hip move forward too, moving the whole upper body forward increasing the range. Otherwise, it's a pretty useless (or symbolical) jab.

Also, the tail seems to pop into place, at the last frame. Make it slide back into place.

On the other creatures and icons, they're great! The Pokemon inspiration is quite obvious though, but that's not bad.

Edit: Also, the toes on the foot are moving in the wrong direction. They should move back instead of forward, since he's putting his weight on the ball of the foot so the heel moves forward, and the toes appear to move back.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:12:52 am by Turbo »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 12:06:56 am
yeah, it seems that hes putting in a good amount of power into it, and usually when you put that much force into a punch, some of your body does go with it( i punched air for you dhaos =))

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 02:59:48 am
The only thing I can see right off (which I hope hasn't been mentioned yet) is pretty minor, and maybe intentional, but... the background foot is lower than the foreground one, which, for me, kinda blows the stance. Raising the background foot above the foreground one, even by a single pixel, increases the sense of power conveyed by the stance, and given that this is an attack animation, power is key, no? ;)

That's all I've got for now, and it probably makes no sense 'cause it's late and I missed my nap today, but from the animation lines and the work you've done so far, it looks like this is gonna be pretty class. Love.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 03:25:49 am
@Turbo: Yeah that 'lil guy can't really punch, its supposed be kinda a cute 'poke/jab' attempt, but being that he's got sharp claws and all it isn't so cute XD. I get what you mean about the shoulder/lack of reach, etc. This is it's weakest 'attack' if you will. Just ment to be a quike prod to the target. The other attacks: swing, kicks, etc will have much more reach...maybe... his head is gonna get in the way of alot of it XD. I'll see if I can adjust the anim so his arm comes forward a bit more, not sure if its anatomically possible at this point kkekeke.

@Ryumaru: You show that air who's boss! Yeah, punching hard makes your body go forward quite a bit. Hopefully I can correct it.

@Tremulant: YES I'm suprised nobody mentioned that, I didn't even notice till about an hour or so ago. I'm fixing that, total accident >_<. Thanks for reminding me, see what happens when you work on one image for too long?!!! SEE DO YOU SEE IT?!!...because I don't. *falls over*

*huddles back off into the dungeon*

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 03:37:29 am
Remember Guile's fast punch? It was done with his leading hand (which corresponds to your sprite's right), the one closer to the opponent. The medium punch, requiring more anticipation, was done with the "back" hand, and was slower. I wouldn't advise doing jabs with that "back" hand. Maybe you could rework this to a strong punch, and do a new jab with the other hand.