AuthorTopic: WIP Pixels  (Read 11809 times)

Offline ehwhy

• View Profile

WIP Pixels

on: August 18, 2005, 09:08:52 pm

Lacks feet and shading.  I also need to choose a better color for the sword hilt and shield.

I don't know what to do with the legs, but otherwise it's finished.

I haven't started on the hair yet.  The lineart is a sketch that I scanned in and edited.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Re: WIP Pixels

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:19:16 pm
I really like your art style!

Everything you posted certainly is a wip, and you're way better of an artist than I, but I noticed you use a lot of bright colors and lot of dark colors together.  Maybe you can try using similar color tones.  =)

Otherwise, I am in awe of your pixels.  =)

Offline jsmith71

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:39:06 pm
I really like your art style!

Everything you posted certainly is a wip, and you're way better of an artist than I, but I noticed you use a lot of bright colors and lot of dark colors together.  Maybe you can try using similar color tones.  =)

Otherwise, I am in awe of your pixels.  =)
Actually, it's called contast, and it's usually a good thing in pixel art. :p Having a buncha colors that are too similar is usually useless, and even if you have fewer shades, if they're too similar the shading will hardly stand out, which defeats the point.

Anyway, on to the art, the only huge thing that's bugging me is the girl's arms. They seem kinda... flat... and floppy. Bent in a weird way, like they have too many joints and no elbows. ;)

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:08:34 pm
You're right.   ;D

I think you just need to finish up the colors.  =)

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 08:10:39 am
Hello

I have some crits about the anatomy of the second piece.

*1 human arms don't bend that way, it's the other way around.

*2 This part is too "fat", arms get thinner as they go toward the hand

*3 Again, the legs are too "fat" for a woman of her proportions

Other than that, her body looks really good.

Hope I helped
BeL

Offline ehwhy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 07:35:57 pm

This is finished now, unless someone finds problems with it.

There are still a lot of issues with the arms and legs... arg.

NyanNyanKoneko: Thanks.  I do like contrast.

Josiah Tobin: Yes, the arms are messed up.  I tried to fix it some in the update, but I don't think it worked.

BeL:
*1 I'm not sure what you mean on this one.  I notice her arm does dip down too sharply after the shoulder; is that what you mean?
*2 Actually, (as far as I know) the arm does get thicker around the elbow; however I did overexaggerate it.
*3 I slimmed the legs down some.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 09:11:16 pm
that mouth was just bugging the hell out of me, i also changed the eye.

i still dont like the shading on the side of the mouth still but oh well...

alexander

Offline Frogacuda

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:07:28 pm

The sword looks like it's going back toward his body. Adjust the hand to make it more clear that the sword is pointing toward the viewer. Also the shoulder pad on the right (the character's left) needs to be adjusted and given some perspective

Your shading techniques are very good, you just need to watch for perspective and depth issues.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:23:19 am

problem does not just lie with lower arm.  i can see the style you are trying to get, but you need to fix upper arm first.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 07:46:47 am
hm.. I guess lief had the same intentions as I.

here is my edit:

I lengthened the lower legs because they seemed too short if related to actual anatomy of a person.
I also seperated the legs a couple pixels.
I seperated the shoulders from the body a couple pixels and made them a bit sharper or shoulder-like.
I edited the arms.. legs.. and more..
added a few highlights in places to make the 3 dimensional forms to pop out better because there were many spots which felt flat, but it could have been a style issue..
I also adjusted the shadeing to make it more realistic, or understandable.

If you study what i did and try and understand why i did it, you might learn some things which will help you improve further.

Overall it was a nice image, and I was compelled enough by it to work a bit on it and see what i myself can do to improve it. keep up the good work.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 08:29:47 am

I like what you've got going on, generally. As to the girl image, you have to take anatomy from the top. Kon's edit is helpful, but mimicking it will not be. Take it from the top. Take fine art classes, draw from models or reference... otherwise you might get to be a very strong pixel artist, with no real life skill and that will always show in your pixels.

About the face now, I like the few colours, and whereas I was tempted to add more for my edit, I stayed with the GBness of it all, heh. Problems:

*Your black lines are jaggy. You antialias them sometimes, but they're still jaggy. Usually black lines shouldn't be jaggy.

*Just because you have few colours doesn't mean you shouldn't try dithering... I like the posterized effect myself a bit, but give other things a try. I did a small Pep-style attempt, but not fully, as it would take too much time.

*Don't copy reference too exactly. Your pixels shouldn't strive to be like reality when you work with 5 colours. Change things, even if they look realistic. Make compelling images. It's too easy to get trapped to copying from reference too obsessively. Let it breathe a bit, add stuff that looks good even if it's taking a chance.

*Antialias uniformly. For 5 colours, this is a must. Generally, antialias like a machine. The places you can do this are so few and always the same, you can do it pretty much automatically. Selective antialiasing (and buffering) is a matter of having 2-3 buffers between two shades, not one or none. There's a lot of places you didn't alias at all, and it looks.

That's it. I like the colours, I like some pixel techinques. But your lineart skill suffers. Focus on that as much as you can. Take a fine-art course, or pick up a good book or two and hit it with all you've got. You might progress without doing these things, but oh so much more slowly.

Kon: your edit need about half a head more of lower leg, and better curve adjustments.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 09:47:27 am

here's a minor edit. Fixed the legs some, and did a few reasonable things with  a buffer shade, and took out most of nonrelative selout (minor thing I can't stand)

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 06:31:13 pm
oh my god the helping-out-ness of this thread kicks so much ass!  Its like old skool Pixelation all over again.

Very nice edits guys.  The feet were still bothering me so I tried working on them a little:

HELM, DER AVATAR IST KRIEG.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:45:29 pm by Locrian »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 09:31:00 pm
TRVE KVLT HOLOCAUST VINDS

welcome back Locrian! Stick around! Excellent edit on the feet. And yes, soak in the oldschool critique while it lasts. When the userbase goes through the roof again... well it'll be like the blue pixelation again.

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 10:12:23 pm
and now we know why she is so sad.  :(

Offline ehwhy

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 05:50:48 am
Thanks for the edits and crits, it seems I have a lot of things to fix.

Only minor changes on these two:

Alex: I shifted the mouth around, but I'm not sure if that was the focus of your edit.

Frogacuda: Actually, the sword isn't supposed to be pointing at the viewer, it's just pointing flat, towards the side.

lief: I'll try to fix that along with the other arm problems, eventually.

Alex Hanson-White: Wow, great edit! It's very helpful, I've been comparing it to the original and attempting to fix issues with it.

Helm: Good points, I will take your advice to mind.

Locrian: Damn, those are some nice edits.

Again, thanks for the help!

Offline Frogacuda

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 04:07:41 pm
Thanks for the edits and crits, it seems I have a lot of things to fix.

Don't mirror body parts especially in an asymmetical pose. It will always be obvious and always look bad.