AuthorTopic: Help with attacking animation  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Re: Help with attacking animation

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41:01 pm
Can't keep up with you guys...
Like the idea of a red bandana (was actually thinking of adding something similar but on the arm), makes the guy look cowboyish :p.
I can't believe Pistachio used no shading and it came out great.

I'm still playing around yet, still deciding on colors and a good excuse for whatever clothing to be where it is so that it fits in with the story.

Also thanks Koyot, that's going to help me a lot for the attacking animation.

Edit:
Here's the new look that I've done, took me a while to do as I migrated to GIMP in the process.

Edit 2:
Animation: Just the standing stance before actually do anything.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:09:54 pm by Hazzy »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:02 am
I'd throw in a red scarf just to make him stand out from the BG..

Don't you think that would make him stand out perhaps too much? Such a bright color on top of duller ones would more likely draw attention to where the scarf is placed, and leave the rest of the character in the dust. Unless it's a point of interest, or somehow significant to the plot, but even then the previous point still stands. If you want to make him stand out from the BG you either make the BG darker (I think it's dark enough) or the character more saturated/brighter (I also think it's bright enough.)

@ the low colors/flat shading comments, haha, thanks for those. ;D Always makes me feel better knowing I'm helping people. In a rather non-direct way, in this case (don't know if that made sense). At this size, it's best to only use what you need, nothing more. Don't worry, you'll learn more about that later on. This makes colors and certain details better stand out in a sprite this size. Too many colors used for the sprite, or its shading, can prove detrimental to its readability.

BTW, edit of the Globbul:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:52:21 am by pistachio »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:52 am
Ive made him little bit more angry. Im still thinking that that sword would lokk beter when its hidden by person, some sort of samurai style.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:58:56 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:29 am
I'm not sure the red band on his arm is working, and with the brown shirt, a certain fascist leader comes to mind.. :D

As pistachio said, a contrasting color like that would just draw attention to itself rather than the sprite as whole.
Would be nice to get some color in there somehow though and a headband might work better for the character.

You should also try reducing the palette, if you use too many colors on such a small sprites you'll lose the sharpness and it will look undefined.

I went ahead and did an edit, I find this low palette style quite intriguing :D

I also noticed the shoulders look a bit too broad, they sorta blend in with his huge hair.

Nice edit koyot1222, the angle looks like his knees are pointing towards the viewer, which looks cool but might be hard to animate him running.
The sneaky pose is really great. I'm impressed at how you managed to get such clear definition for the legs and feet. Perhaps it is the selective outline on the feet, and heavier shading beneath his knees.

Hazzy, about the idle animation, the sword moves in a strange way, looks more like he's poking something.
I also think it might look better if the sword moves the opposite way, I read somewhere that animation is all about balancing one moving limb with a movement in the opposite direction of another. Like when do a stab attack with a sword, one shoulder goes forward and the other goes backward, well you sorta twist the body actually..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:46:06 am by Seiseki »

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:01 am
Really like Koyot's animation, great as always :P.

I also know my Globbul isn't the most up to date with my spriting but that's a good job you've done with the edit.
Anyhow I'll try giving less colors a go but not quite sure about the headband, since it's a typical cliche hero thing. Not that I don't like it, I'm just trying to be more unique if you get me.

Time for another alteration. :)

Edit:
Took out some colours, what do you think now? (Yet to add the weapon because I'm repositioning it)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:24:06 am by Hazzy »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 11:49:28 am
It's better but I have a few pointers.

- Don't be afraid of having a larger area in just one or two colors.

- The face is shaded from the chin and up which makes it look like he doesn't have a jaw, if anything the shade should come from above.
And since his neck isn't visible the contrast between the shirt and jaw line should be sharper to make it look more like it's popping out, which it is.

- The face could be made a bit more symmetric and defined by removing a few pixels of hair above his right eye.

- What's with the two highlights in the middle of his shirt?

- More contrast between the colors of the shirt, it blends together too well.

- For the feet, you could add a highlight to make them pop out more, look at Koyot1222's edit.
(I didn't actually realize the feet were pointing towards the viewer, and the feet I edited look very weird)

And ugh, somehow I managed to make my edit really washed out, really need to look out for that >.>

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:07 pm
- What's with the two highlights in the middle of his shirt?
You mean the highlights that are the same colour as the skin? I was just trying to make the shirt look a little ragged an torn hence revealing some skin.
Else if you mean the shirt itself, I see I need to redo the shading on that anyway.

An thanks, you've all been a great help! :)

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:55:30 pm
The sneaky pose is really great. I'm impressed at how you managed to get such clear definition for the legs and feet. Perhaps it is the selective outline on the feet, and heavier shading beneath his knees.
Some sort of begginers luck :) Ive just made it becouse i felt that its going to be the right way, i didnt think to much about it.

Its realy nice that i was helpfull.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:14:31 pm by Koyot1222 »

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 02:35:21 pm
Some sort of begginers luck :) Ive just made it becouse i felt that its going to be the right way, i didnt think to much about it.

Its realy nice that i was helpfull.

Woah I really like the sense of hostility he's showing, especially in the eyes :P
Makes him look like a beast (which was my original intention in the story hehe - reason he has red eyes).