AuthorTopic: Help with attacking animation  (Read 7369 times)

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Help with attacking animation

on: July 10, 2011, 01:59:14 pm
I'm having a little trouble getting the form right on my attacking sprite, I'm happy with the first 2 frames but I just can't get it right on the last one.

Frame 1: Dash
Frame 2: Stand
Frame 3: Swing Weapon

Using a 24x24 sprite for the guy, and then extended to 32x24 (per frame) to allow a weapon to fit in.

Sample of how it looks in game:

The dash sprite has a little ghost trial behind it (in game) which is intentional and I'll be adding other effects in once I have the sprites looking smooth.

Feel free to criticize anything I have shown, such as shading or anything else that doesn't look right. Thanks :).

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: Help with attacking animation

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:29:05 pm
You definitely need a 4th frame between the 2nd and the 3rd, also a trail behind the weapon would make it look more like a sword swing.
Also, how come the sword switches hand? :D

Also with the dash, it's like his legs just bend sideways, it doesn't look balanced. I think you might want to make it look more like front knee is bent while the back leg is straight.

And I like the minimalistic style :D
But you might want to remove one shade from his face, because it's a bit too smooth where his jaw line should be.
Almost looks like he has a mask or something on, which might be intentional?

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:20 pm
You definitely need a 4th frame between the 2nd and the 3rd, also a trail behind the weapon would make it look more like a sword swing.
Also, how come the sword switches hand? :D

Also with the dash, it's like his legs just bend sideways, it doesn't look balanced. I think you might want to make it look more like front knee is bent while the back leg is straight.

And I like the minimalistic style :D
But you might want to remove one shade from his face, because it's a bit too smooth where his jaw line should be.
Almost looks like he has a mask or something on, which might be intentional?

Well the sword doesn't really switch arms, I just failed at making the character show his back (basically his body shifts around). Imagine your holding a sword and you swing it (in an up-left direction) with a fair amount of force - That's the sort of logic I was trying to follow.
Although once I do the complete animation it'll look more natural, providing I can get the key poses right first.

Thanks for the comment, I'll start making some changes. Also thinking about adding a few more tones to the pallete so I can get stronger shades between areas. Anyway I'll post some updates once they're done. :D

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:25:34 pm
Ah, that makes a lot of sense, although he probably shouldn't be looking over his shoulder like that (looks uncomfortable ;P)
If you just turn his head so you can only see the back of it, the pose will look more natural :)

Btw, for the dash pose, google "ninja run" and check the still images.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:30:43 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:12:32 pm

Alright an update to the dash sprite - Played around with the legs a little more and re-shaded a few areas.
Going to start work animating it to make it look like he's running and see how that turns out.

Edit:
Animated using a 2 frame loop, hopefully it looks right :p - Actually first time I've done a running animation, or rather 'dashing'.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:00:55 pm by Hazzy »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:26:29 pm
A bit tired right now, so this will be short.

Problems I have so far with the animation is that the body is completely static. It lacks a real sense of action that I think would be given off in a dashing animation, and what a 2 frame loop probably wouldn't provide without looking extremely jumpy. Only the legs and hands are moving, and even the hair doesn't seem to be affected by any sort of wind, which clashes with what little sense of movement you have. The sprite moving as a whole would seem the better option, more than bobbing up and down but rather left and right in addition. (Circular movement, put short.) Of course, there are a lot of subtle movements you probably don't really understand at this stage. Which I don't understand either. I don't know much about animation at the moment, still building on my fundamentals, so someone else may be of more help there.

Animation aside, the palette is bland and you seem to be relying on outlines and what looks like pillow-shading at this size to define shapes. And where's the light coming from? I don't see it. I know I posted this tutorial before but I think you'll benefit from reading it, as this piece (enemies count to some extent) and the piece in that thread actually share some similar problems, in terms of pixel tech.

Also note, if that's supposed to be a sword, it looks like a pole, and the little hero doesn't look very heroic. Edgy hairstyle, grey turtleneck and sweatpants of some sort? Man, all that gray is making me tired. Even in reality there's always a bit of color mixed into grays. Also of note, I am perplexed as to why s/he isn't wearing shoes especially considering the environment. Namely, the floor. Then again, do heroes like this really care?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:38:43 pm by pistachio »

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:33 pm
Trying to use an overhead light source and I know the pallete is bland right now. The character is wearing rags pretty much and the 'sword' is actually a pole at this stage, just called it a sword since it'll be replaced later with one as the pole is temp. (Going along with a story flow here where his appearances will change slightly over time)
The reason why he isn't wearing shoes ties into the story as well. Hey, at the very beginning he's even nude. In his current situation he doesn't have the luxury to dress up in the 'hero' shop I'm afraid :P.

Anyway I'll see what I can do to reduce the gray and I'm taking a look at the links you posted, thanks :)
I know a lot of things are missing but getting this far is really an accomplishment for me so far, I'm still working on it!

I'm also starting to wonder if the head in general is a little too big? I see bigger sprites which have smaller heads than mine so I'm just curious.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:20:05 pm
I just have a string of these short posts and edits don't I

Ah, well that explains the bland colors... Somewhat. But they're not very readable as rags. When I think rags, namely in this sort of stylized aesthetic, I think more dull, muted colors. Perhaps brown, faded blue or green, with a little line for a stitch or a patch of a different color somewhere, perhaps even a gash, something more to suggest worn and tattered rags than grays for a palette. Just not too many little details (one or two should suffice), or it'll start to destroy the readability.

Little thing I did, kinda regret the "stitch/patch" suggestion. Looks even less like rags than before... :sry: Unless I'm the only one who thinks so.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:44:39 pm by pistachio »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:20:40 pm
Even with rags you can use a bit of brown and beige, I'd throw in a red scarf just to make him stand out from the BG..

I had a go myself, mostly just to practice :)
I was playing around with shading and changed the light source a bit.

(edit: he looks a bit too much like a cowboy with the scarf now haha :D)

Edit: wow, pistachio, I'm always impressed how you make things look so good with so few colors.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:37:55 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:06 pm
I dont know if that is realy the thing that youre waiting for, but who knows, maby it could be usable.

from left: 1.neutral 2.jump 3.before slash 4.slash 5.end

Animation:

1(2s)_2_3_4_5_3_1(2s)