AuthorTopic: GR#069 - Minefields Project - Scenery, Menu  (Read 15746 times)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

GR#069 - Minefields Project - Scenery, Menu

on: July 10, 2011, 12:22:25 pm
I'm reworking the first level of my upcoming iPhone game, and I'm looking for any advice you have to offer. The game works like iCopter (press the screen to go up, release to go down) and there are obstacles. I'd like to implement a type of obstacle for the top of the level (cranes?) but I'm having a hard time finding ideas. Any and all advice welcome :)

Update8:

Update7:

Update6:

Update5:

Update4:

Update3:

Update2:

Update1:

Original:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:31:12 pm by ceddo »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Junkyard/City ruins scene

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:07 pm
Interesting. Reminds me of Rust Mesa. You know, that one piece that looks somewhat like yours.

Not a fan of the stark contrast between foreground and background. I'd like to see the background piles of junk a bit more obvious, perhaps higher, just to create more of a transition. Doesn't have to cover every inch of the foreground junk though, but it wasn't that apparent to me. So either that or lighten it up. Or change the sky a bit. On that note...

The sky seems a bit saturated as well (considering the theme, unless it's a sunset), and kinda high, or maybe the cloud formations are just creating that effect somehow. The clouds are another thing that seems odd in a way.

Good job on what you have so far, though!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 01:13:49 pm by pistachio »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:44 pm
I love it! Very dark feel.

The ground does look quite uniform in color though, you might want to add some slight variations, like rust, more bluish metal, lighter gray.
Also, about the contrast, how does that work on a cellphone? Like playing the game outside.
High contrast might be an advantage.

Also, would be cool with more parallax layers, especially for a game focused on constant movement.

Offline Cesque

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:04:41 pm
Some comments/criticism:

There does seem to be a lot of contrast between the sky and the pile of junk - the colour contrast doesn't really bother me, but the clouds look rather basic with no visibile lightning direction, while the pile is incredibly detailed with strong reflections. It looks somehow out of place (there shouldn't be too many light reflections if the sky is so polluted).

It's visible that you reused a lot of elements for the pile, like the two TVs facing different directions (including a mirrored lightning direction).

The "rectangular" border between the visible junk at the top of the pile and the darkness below looks a bit weird upon closer inspection.

Why are the clouds generally smooth, except for the dithered section in the top/centre?

Apart from that (and despite that), it looks good. If it's for a game, the foreground/background contrast may actually be useful.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:11:28 am
You have a red sky giving out reddish light, and blue highlighted junk. I think that's what creates the dis-jointed feeling to the composition. Just changing that, and giving the junk and red/orange tinge would improve it alot. I also thought of Rust Mesa, it's very pretty and tiles well. The tv/barrel section mirrors very convincingly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:13:41 am by heyy13 »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:52:16 am
changing the lightest color in the junk (aside from the white) to the lightest orange in the sky actually works pretty well.  Gives it a real sense of heat

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:17:36 am
Interesting. Reminds me of Rust Mesa. You know, that one piece that looks somewhat like yours.

Yup, Larwick's Rust Mesa piece definitely was a huge inspiration for me :)

Not a fan of the stark contrast between foreground and background. I'd like to see the background piles of junk a bit more obvious, perhaps higher, just to create more of a transition. Doesn't have to cover every inch of the foreground junk though, but it wasn't that apparent to me. So either that or lighten it up. Or change the sky a bit. On that note...

The sky seems a bit saturated as well (considering the theme, unless it's a sunset), and kinda high, or maybe the cloud formations are just creating that effect somehow. The clouds are another thing that seems odd in a way.

Good job on what you have so far, though!

That's a good idea Pistachio, I'll push the junk piles in the back further up. I agree with the sky as well, my coder told me that it was even a little distracting when playing the game. I'll probably change the saturation and contrast a little, see what I come up with. The clouds are just blocked in at the moment. Thanks for the CC!

I love it! Very dark feel.

The ground does look quite uniform in color though, you might want to add some slight variations, like rust, more bluish metal, lighter gray.
Also, about the contrast, how does that work on a cellphone? Like playing the game outside.
High contrast might be an advantage.

Also, would be cool with more parallax layers, especially for a game focused on constant movement.

Thanks Seiseki! You're probably right about the ground, I was thinking of some grass maybe. I have a tendency to make elements of levels too uniform color-wise :) Haven't tested this theme outside yet. I'll see what a parallax layer in front looks like.

There does seem to be a lot of contrast between the sky and the pile of junk - the colour contrast doesn't really bother me, but the clouds look rather basic with no visibile lightning direction, while the pile is incredibly detailed with strong reflections. It looks somehow out of place (there shouldn't be too many light reflections if the sky is so polluted).

It's visible that you reused a lot of elements for the pile, like the two TVs facing different directions (including a mirrored lightning direction).

The "rectangular" border between the visible junk at the top of the pile and the darkness below looks a bit weird upon closer inspection.

Why are the clouds generally smooth, except for the dithered section in the top/centre?

Apart from that (and despite that), it looks good. If it's for a game, the foreground/background contrast may actually be useful.

I'll refine the clouds more, I tried to just give the illusion that they're lit from the bottom. Keep in mind that the background will be scrolling throughout the level, just like all the rest. Should I make the clouds dithered like in the center or more smooth? I'm going to make a third slope tile to kill the grid and get rid of the squareness. Thanks :) yeah, the contrast is really key because the junk is actually an obstacle.

You have a red sky giving out reddish light, and blue highlighted junk. I think that's what creates the dis-jointed feeling to the composition. Just changing that, and giving the junk and red/orange tinge would improve it alot. I also thought of Rust Mesa, it's very pretty and tiles well. The tv/barrel section mirrors very convincingly.
changing the lightest color in the junk (aside from the white) to the lightest orange in the sky actually works pretty well.  Gives it a real sense of heat
Thanks, I think it looks much better with just that little change!

Thanks for all the replies guys - update coming soon!

Edit: Ugh, having a really hard time with the sky. Changed the color of highlights on the junk. There will eventually be a mushroom cloud from a nuke appearing halfway through the level, thus the lighting from the bottom. Made the tiles less squareish, tried the foreground parallax, didn't work! :/

I still don't really know what to do with the sky. Are the colors fine? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to add loads of new colors and dither the hell out of the clouds to make the sky smoother. This is going to take ages! Opinions?

About the ship sprite, I know the highlights are blue once again :) but this really makes the sprite pop out, which is good I assume. Also, most of the sprites in the game are highlighted with this cold blue.

Edit2:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:27:29 am by ceddo »

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Re: Junkyard/City ruins scene (updated)

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:44 pm
'nother update, this one I've worked mostly on the armor upgrades for the ship sprite. I've tried to make the light source of the sky more obvious (they're supposed to be lit from the bottom left). I'd really appreciate some feedback, especially on the sky. Is the dithering working? Should I keep the clouds cel-shaded for the highlights or use more colors and dither it out?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:14:54 pm
Latest update is def. an improvement, and what detailing you have (in the clouds) looks very promising, and pleasing to look at. (I'd suggest to have less detail from the highlight to the midtone color, however, than you have midtone to dark.) The light-source in the clouds, to me at least, is made a lot clearer with the latest addition. Doesn't look like it'd be very compatible with parallax scrolling, however. :( We'll wait and see.

Also, is this going to be a sidescroller shoot-em-up of sorts? Seems like something I'd play in my spare time, if only for the stunning graphics. By the way, my favorite design so far is the ship that's pretty much silver with what looks like several large-scale uneven plates on its hull. Seems the most fitting, but its rear parts would have to be changed a bit to fit in, I think. Considering they're design upgrades, they're all good, but somehow the third upgrade (the gold one?) doesn't seem as fitting as the rest. I suppose dulling it by a tiny bit or changing it to more of a brass/bronze scheme could help. I assume there are going to be quite a few larger variations of enemies because there's a lot of blank space on-screen? Leaves a lot of room for direction by the way.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:26:59 pm by pistachio »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:01 pm
Your work realy inspire me :) Just keep working :D
I was try to draw shutle similar to your game, its not as good as your work but it helps me a lot to understand some more. Thankyou :)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:20:13 pm by Koyot1222 »