AuthorTopic: GR#066 - C64 Palette Platformer - Mockup  (Read 13397 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Mockup platformer C64 palette

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:41:32 am
I like this, the background works well in that last mockup.

But I think you are using too many colours just because you can and stuff ends up looking noisy and unfocused.
I would try and cut down on putting lots of single pixel colour detail all over the place. Things get grainy fast.
A cleaner look would work better for this I reckon.

Very charming tho.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:59 pm
Yes it was not far from the infamous rainbow effect.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Hope it will disappear as the location makes more sense to me now.
I've reworked the tileset and the background a bit. I would like to introduce special background tiles for the objects (doors, teleporters).
I liked the bulky aspect of the previous ground, the new one is perhaps a bit to square.

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 02:27:43 am
worked more on the tileset and began to unify the rendering of the metallic elements (doors, robot dispensers).

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 11:57:57 am
Yes it was not far from the infamous rainbow effect.
I wonder to what extent it's due to the fact you're using grey as your #1 shade. Grey work well for secondary tones as one will not note that you dropped the hue, but if you have no hue as the start, the eye becomes more sensitive to hue changes where there is some hue to look at.

does it makes sense ?

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 08:07:22 pm
I think you're doing great work with this. It actually amazes me that you pull off having so many colors in the floor/wall/roof tiles. BGs are looking good and units and portals as well.

What I think would be an idea though is to reduce the amount of colors used in each element to increase contrast and readability. Although most stuff looks good on it's own it's sometimes hard to tell what's what. Maybe you could try to knock back the floor each one level in value to better separate it from the units and objects?

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:14 pm
PypeBros <> interesting point there, I will try to add some details to the grey walls or shadows. In game it's a bit better as you don't see so much of the level.

Fickludd <> thanks. Sadly I didn't want to add colors for the sake of it, I started this "project" to improve my pixel art skills.
With this limited palette you're forced to mix colors in order to reach the desired contrast. I failed somehow so it's noisy but I hope to fix that.
Still I like the vibrance in the floor tiles and I hope I will be able to adjust it against the new elements.
It's interesting to see how each color is almost willing to interact with the others creating some sort of halos or hard edges.
If I had to pixel this with a deadline I would go for more down to earth methods but this time it's more about going out of my comfort zone and having fun playing with colors.
I will place backgrounds mostly on ceilings so the player isn't obstructed too much.

Did a mockup for a Boss/Power Up Station, could be a starting point for a new tileset aswell.
Lots of things to fix but I was procrastinating on it for too much time. Thanks to Procrastitracker for the evidence.