AuthorTopic: [WIP] Cute Tileset and Props  (Read 5193 times)

Offline CodeCriminal

• View Profile

[WIP] Cute Tileset and Props

on: August 12, 2011, 05:32:27 pm
Hello, so to go along with my character (the thread for which can be found here) for this supposed ARPG I have started developing a few simple tiles.

While I do like these tiles, I think they are a little too stylized for the game I have in mind and would like to attempt eliminating the grid. Which tiles will I need to help with the grid problem?
Alnother reason I am uploading this quick set is that in the other thread someone wanted to know what the character would look like on a background so the colours could be judged (I personally think the character is a little too dark).

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks.

Offline ABC

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Cute Tileset and Props

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:07:28 pm
To get rid of the grid, I think having round corners where the ground and the water meet would be a nice step.
Every like that is exactly straight right now could have more curve orbe jagged to feel more natural.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:33:29 pm
The grid effect is a thing that probably has to be fixed, yes, but overall the entire tileset is a bit pale in comparison to the character. I suppose this is to have him instantly more distinguishable from the background, but it wouldn't hurt to turn down the brightness a notch or two. Aside from that, the grass doesn't look very much like grass, rather just flecks of pixels. Might want to stick another white flower tile in there, to add a bit of variety and make the repeating patterns less obvious.

Offline CodeCriminal

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 12:19:39 am
To get rid of the grid, I think having round corners where the ground and the water meet would be a nice step.
Every like that is exactly straight right now could have more curve orbe jagged to feel more natural.

Ok so I had a go at creating a sort of tile set template which I could use to create the real tiles, this one goes 1/3 of the way to eliminating the grid but the rest is up to me, how I design each tile and the variety of props to break the patterns.
Its a bit difficult to use, i.e. its not always obvious especially when creating awkward curves which tile you should use, I suppose id get used to it after a while, but would have prefered something with a few less "bits and pieces", is there anyway I could optimize this template?

overall the entire tileset is a bit pale in comparison to the character. "..." but it wouldn't hurt to turn down the brightness a notch or two. Aside from that, the grass doesn't look very much like grass, rather just flecks of pixels.

Yeah I though that the colours were quite pale too (or rather the character was too dark in comparison), I was waiting for another to give thier opinion, so thanks :P. The grass is supposed to be "just flecks of pixels" I have seen this kind of thing done before (i.e. I didnt just make it up and go "that'll do donkey!") and its a certain stylized way of doing grass.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:41:05 am by CodeCriminal »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:23:20 pm
What I do to remove the effect is to use something like this:

I don't follow the lines everytime, I just use them as a guide, as in how it should look, I am really not an expert I have seen better ways of doing it, yet I don't know them, but for me the circle covers most of the basic tiles. If you really want to remove the pattern you should try to use an 8x8 grid.

Offline CodeCriminal

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:25:59 am
What I do to remove the effect is to use something like this:

I don't follow the lines everytime, I just use them as a guide, as in how it should look, I am really not an expert I have seen better ways of doing it, yet I don't know them, but for me the circle covers most of the basic tiles. If you really want to remove the pattern you should try to use an 8x8 grid.

Ah that is much easier to use than what I had thanks :) and yeah my intention was only to use the lines as a guide also.
Using an 8x8 grid is an interesting idea, though it would be expensive (the engine would have to process n^2 vertices as a result), I tried coming up with various ways to work around this but each solution ive suggested i soon find out that it is either still too slow or too expensive in terms of memory.. there might still be a way so ill see if i can figure it out.

If I were to use an 8x8 grid, what would the tile template look like? The same as what you have there?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:50:50 am by CodeCriminal »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:47:23 am
Well, it will be nearly the same yet you will have more control and more ways of breaking the grid, if you are more interested you should see the tileset used in Star Ocean