AuthorTopic: Best pixel art program for tablets  (Read 13421 times)

Offline Ryuza

• View Profile

Best pixel art program for tablets

on: July 03, 2011, 06:27:56 pm
Hey all, just got myself a new tablet, nothing big and expensive, [link].

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good android app or something for making pixel art and doing spriting.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:23:08 pm by Ryuza »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: Best pixel art program for tablets

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:53:49 pm
EDIT: See my next post in this thread.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:24:04 pm by KittenMaster »

Offline Ryuza

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:56 pm
Ah, yeah, forgot to mention it was android :P

Anyway, that kinda sucks, oh well though, maybe I'll get lucky and one will pop up sometime soon. Thanks :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:00:53 pm
There is a game called grand master pixel which is not a proper pixeart program but lets u do 16x16 images and post them up for people to vote on.
When u go into voting mode it picks 2 random images that random people have drawn and u choose which is betterso its like a battle.
As ur image gets votes u get points to level up gain extra colours, you start with only black and white.
Its a bit of fun and probably goode practice but I got bored of how it is limited to size and palette.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:03:08 am
Really sad to see that the tablet pc has been shoved into the ugly market that Apple so uselessly gave us. Well, not that they were ever really a prominent contender in the computing scene... Sure, at least Asus and some other companies are making windows based tablet PCs (though, WAY more pricey than the little 'pad' tablets flooding the market), but most of the stuff you see coming out nowadays are just huge smartphones without the phone aspect.  If you want something that you can actually do some legitimate artwork on, you might look into some older tablet hardware that pops up on eBay a lot that run windows and, consequently, any application within its hardware capabilities that you could run on any other windows machine. Or put linux on it, whatever you like.  But with the android tablets and iPads all you will get is a glorified store and a slew of apps. At the mercy of app developers, so I guess it's just hoping that somebody out there is making some full-featured bitmap editing app software that it's just a toy.

But you never know.  Even the Nintendo DSi was graced with some decent homebrew applications that people made, and the surprisingly capable dsiware title "Inchworm Animation" that lets you do stop animation with the onboard cameras, tile creation, painting with aliased/transparent brushes, layers, and even has pixel art friendly toolsets and tops it all off by giving you the ability to export things you've made into SWF files or bitmap frames to an SD card.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:23:23 pm
Just saw this in Pixel Joint's chatterbox: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.grafx2

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:38:40 am
Well I'll be!  That's pretty rad, GrafX2 will likely be the most suitable thing you'll ever find for pixeling on your android. Many people swear by it even for their desktop computers.

Offline Ryuza

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:16:59 am
Looks very nice, I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the help guys :)