AuthorTopic: Heartcore (gore and nudity!)  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Cesque

• View Profile

Heartcore (gore and nudity!)

on: July 02, 2011, 02:05:52 pm
I'm not really satisfied with this one, and I should probably rework it from the outline stage, but I lost my heart (ahem) so I just brushed the final result up and called it a day.

Different stages of development:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Heartcore (gore and nudity!)

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:19:56 pm
Cool text but I had a quick look and I cant tell what is going on here exactly but if he is supposed to have pulled his own heart out and is showing to the viewer then it looks quite off.
The whole rib cage area should get redone to fix the angles (looks rotated) and try to avoid black inside this time in favour of the suggestion of shadowed body organs, at the moment it gives  initial impression of a mouth with long sharp teeth.
The forshortening of his right hand needs redoing and I cant tell what his left arm is doing.
Legs have no shape to them so work of a reference instead perhaps.
Shading is way off and makes him look fairly flat, with lighting from that angle then most of the centre to right side should be shadowed to create form especially the lower areas, or pick a new light source.
The blood is quite random in its shape and does not suggest the movement and what are the white things in front of him? Again they contradict with what i imagine the movement should be.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:22:39 pm by Decroded »

Offline Cesque

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:42:53 pm
Thanks for the comments!

A little explanation - my original idea was to have him rip the left side of his rib cage open with a hand pulled underneath - explaining the angle, the blood direction, and sternum and parts of ribs falling off. Unfortunately, the end result ended up looking horribly un-dynamic, and the fact that the whole ribcage area became a hard-to-edit mess in the process didn't help :-[

(think it could be saved by restarting from the third stage on the left? ignore the shading)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:45:15 pm by Cesque »

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:19:03 pm
Instead of dislocating one side of the rib cage completely, it seems more reasonable to get to the heart by breaking a few ribs. So you could show a normal rib cage with a few bones sticking outward.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:02:14 pm
Things that could be changed:

The limbs have no definition, and are thick and stocky. Paired with the current skintone and texture, this makes the figure look like a stone golem, which I'm not sure is what you were aiming for (in fact it took me some time to come up with that suggestion).

Shading is rather flat; the palette is rather monochromatic.

The dislocation of the ribcage as a whole is pretty unrealistic. Try taking piffany's suggestion?

You seem to be defining individual facial details rather than focusing on how shadows would be cast on the face. Let's see if I can find that example...

Maybe I might make an edit. Maybe you might have to redo this.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 07:34:10 pm
that reminds me of an old pencil drawing of mine

maybe i can help you...

i would make the piece bigger overall...
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Cesque

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:48 pm
Thanks again!

@Elk: I can't view the pic (due to maturity filters, and I have no DA account). Care to upload it someplace else?

@pistachio: I can totally see what you mean about the legs and the face. At first I thought the feet were the only major issue, but the legs are definitely blocky too.

@piffany (and pistachio): Here's how I imagined opening the ribcage (and thus the angle):

I'd really want to keep it that way, because it seems a relatively realistic thing to do if you want to pull out your heart. Breaking through ribs to get it out without surgical tools is impractical, pulling it out by sticking a hand down in your abdomen and going up isn't very dramatic, and just pulling it out of nowhere seems too clich?.

Anyways, I'll go back to the outline and see what I can fix when I find the time.

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 04:41:52 pm
you could always indiana jones it out ;]

also your rib cage seems a tad large, and if youre going for the the image showing step by step suggests then youre missing half a rib cage

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41:22 am
This is how I would open my rib cage (if I had to  :crazy:):

i.e. like opening one side of a cabinet
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)