AuthorTopic: Help  (Read 3641 times)

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Help

on: June 28, 2011, 06:05:50 pm
I need to refine this picture.

Please, could you help me fix the face and maybe point out some other errors.  :-[

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Re: Help

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:00:32 pm
The leaves and the grass have a nice texture. The tree trunk seems to have too many nodules--it should look more striated. Little Red Riding Hood is missing a chin (add some shadows to show that).
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:10:19 pm

Update thank for the tips but i dint get what you didnt like with the trunk , it seams fine too me. I tried to fix the chin but not sure if it helped.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:32:05 pm by ptoing »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:46 pm
to put it bluntly, because i cant think of a better way to say it, the tree trunk looks more like a pile of rocks then a tree truck

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:03 am
Way too much dithering imo.  And I didn't even know it was a girl until piffany mentioned little red riding hood.  I did a little edit.  Changed some colors, lost the dithering and adding some darker colors.  Edited the wolf too.   :hehe:

Also, your light source is inconsistent on the tree and the girl.  The tree looks like it's coming from the right and on the girls face, it was coming from the left.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:21:09 am
Candy Man is right. Think about pulling up references of tree trunks to get a feel of what they really look like. Same goes for the leaves and grass. Which, by the way have little to no sense of light.

The composition of the scene is really off. You've got little Red Riding Hood off to the right, the Wolf to the far left, then you've got this huge tree in the center, whose canopy boldly pushes right through the borders of the scene and leads the viewer's eye up and out of it. By pushing them off to the borders of the scene, making the tree twice as large and bright as either of them, you're making it the priority of the scene. Well, to be fair, Red's a bit more saturated than her surroundings, tree included, but then that means she's more saturated than the entire scene (the entire scene was pretty saturated to start with). This does draw attention to her, but considering her size and position, the eye doesn't have much to go around; the fact that she's in the corner, or her stiff and oddly stark position much like the wolf's, doesn't help. This isn't the best choice.

A lack of understanding of perspective probably causes half the faults in this piece. The other half are caused by a lack of understanding of your lightsource, atmosphere, contrast, saturation... The list goes on. Ask yourself these questions: What time of day is it? This isn't very apparent in the piece. The bright tree and Red Riding Hood suggest exposure to sunlight, but layers of trees recede to a darker color in the background to suggest nighttime. What's the kind of atmosphere you want to give off? Eerie, like you're being hunted or watched? I think that's what you wanted to do, but you ended up making all the mistakes I've listed so far. Where is the lightsource? Upper left, upper right, frontal? Right now it's very inconsistent.

That must mean... this calls for a

R-R-R-R-R-REDO

Coming soon. Dpixel's edit of the wolf is in the right direction in terms of lighting, though.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:34:44 am by pistachio »

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:38:00 am
Thanks guys, pistachio is right I'll have to redo the whole thing.
Hope you guys can help me in the proses so I don't do the same mistakes twice. Btw thanks to you all, for your time and help.

Ain't to bad right now
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:08:24 am by alex pang »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:54:22 am
That last one looks fine for what it is but its hard too work out where ur going with this.
Maybe stop and do a few composition sketches on paper that tells some kind of story.
try to work in some drama instead of just plain emotionless stare into the camera.
Perhaps make the wolf be one of those big bad ones that can walk on its hind legs and have some scheming pose and evil grin etc.
And it can't hurt to show the wood cutters house silhouetted in the not too distant background with for example a simple axe sticking out of a tree trunk which is how we can tell.
Just some examples of things u can consider to make it interesting.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:40:55 pm
You really need to learn basic perspective; pick up a book on it.