AuthorTopic: Tell me about this art style!  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Wesley

• View Profile

Tell me about this art style!

on: July 01, 2011, 01:26:54 am
I want to learn more about this style of art.

Look at the art in this game called Amil. http://armorgames.com/play/5599/amil
Here's another game. It's called One Button Bob. http://armorgames.com/play/5286/one-button-bob

I can tell that it's simple. No crazy details or shading (I think...). I don't really know how to process it my head, and I can't seem to recreate the simple look and colors of it. This is the style I'm wanting to create all of my art with. I'm absolutely in love with it and it just looks so smooth (to me).

What can you guys tell me about this art style? Any information is welcomed, even if it obvious. I want to know everything about it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:28:57 am by Wesley »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tell me about this art style!

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:54:57 am
Low amount of pixels and colors. Sometimes varying resolutions. Flat shading. Dull colors in certain/most scenes. That's all I can get out of it for now, there's probably more.

Generally this style is easy to achieve if you're skilled enough (I only consider myself decent and most of my small mindless doodles do tend to resemble this) but if you're planning to create all of your art in this style simply because you're in love with it, that's probably not a good thing to do. Be warned, it might prohibit you from growing as an artist, and you'll never be able to make things like this (more at the Pixeljoint Hall of Fame if you want to check that out). Grow enough as an artist and things like this (no, not the dragon) will be a piece of cake.

Doing studies, searching around for advice, taking notes, drawing from reference and etcetera may be tedious, but is usually the best way to go. Or grow. Either word is okay. If you're afraid of doing that, sorry to scare you away, you probably won't see much progress. If you want to stay the way you are, that's fine. I'm just telling you something you might (not) want to hear.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:00:03 am by pistachio »

Offline Wesley

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:20 pm
Awesome, man. Thanks for taking the time to look at it and give me a reply! ;D

Well, I'm not skilled at all, so I have some work ahead of me. I don't plan on growing as an artist, and as incredible as that dragon looks, I would never expect to draw something mind blowing like that. I'm a game programmer, and I've always wanted to do the art myself. The way this style looks just fits the games I make so perfectly. I guess you could say I'm shooting low?

If it's tedious, that won't stop me. I do want to learn.

Again, thanks for the reply. :)

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 06:48:19 pm
You can't shoot low.  Good simple art is not easy to create. If you have no intention of getting better, you will end up like the many artists on deviantart who fail and fail again at drawing Anime. It's simplified, but not easy and that's why it looks so bad when you don't know what you're doing. The same will happen for you when you try to create simple pixel art.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Wesley

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:30 pm
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that when I said I was shooting low. I do plan on getting better, just not to the point to where I can create that freakin' sweet dragon.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:09 pm
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that when I said I was shooting low. I do plan on getting better, just not to the point to where I can create that freakin' sweet dragon.
You never know...