AuthorTopic: Axe  (Read 11091 times)

Offline Juniorps

• View Profile

Axe

on: June 28, 2011, 04:39:03 pm
Hello, I'm new here, I was appointed by my friend Sven Ruthner Ptoing the vulgar, I asked for his help and he showed me this site which I think is very good.

Let's get right subject ...  :)

I did a great process in one piece, drawn, scanned and made many updates I got today came in and I'm not satisfied, you may miss some details as the cable and also on the blade, I thank you for the PIXELJOINT several friends who are helping me in process, as my dear Jinn, Hiure, Miascugh Varock and Shade.

Ask:

Process: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12251

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Re: Axe

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:28:54 pm
Looks great so far! ;D You're still working on the handle right? (I think it should be longer and fatter, it looks like you could really easily snap the handle just with the weight of the blade)

My main crit would be to have more of those straight diagonal highlights on the flat of the blade, because the dark blue you've put there gives the illusion that the side of the blade isn't flat, that it's some weird bumpy surface. Just add some of those highlights (in the same color as the highlights of the blade) and you should have the illusion of a shiny, flat surface.

Another thing is that the highlights on the sharp edge don't denote a clear light source. Remember, the only difference between shiny and matte surfaces is that shiny surfaces more accurately reflect the light that comes to them. This is why they have brighter highlights and darker shadows. Therefore, to achieve the illusion of shininess really well it helps to put very dark areas right next to very bright areas. But to this after thinking about where you want the light source to be and deduct your highlights and dark areas accordingly.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Offline Yuri

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:42:40 pm
The vertical highlights that goes from top to bottom on the side of the blades do not reflect sharpness of the blade. It looks like at the base the blade isn't sharpened, a bit like the side of a guitar. I think making them go diagonals or horizontal would improve readability.

Offline Juniorps

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:31:28 pm
Yuri, Sorry I did not understand quite what you mean, you mentioned that you would look better in a diagonal line without these curves? Would you like an example to understand better.  :'(

Offline Yuri

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:43 pm
I mean the highlight would help emphasize that the blade is sharper if it wasn't perpendicular.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:30:19 pm by Yuri »

Offline Juniorps

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:08:13 pm
A, but now I understand. Maybe I do not think it would be nice, and maybe yes. Because in my head right foot would be the lighting, the look better, in my opinion .. Lying may be a little polluted, you would want others opinacem so maybe I might be wrong.  ???

Offline haowan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:33:23 pm
Hello, here is an edit:

Both ends of the blade needed changing to show the angle of the sharpened part. Also make it the same width all the way around, it reads more like a blade that way.

Don't darken the blade where it goes inwards, as this makes it look more like it's in shadow.

I haven't done the highlights because I'm not very good, the shape should be clearer now though.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:35:05 pm by haowan »

Offline Juniorps

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:43:12 pm
Update  ;D

Offline Cesque

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:01:06 pm
The shading looks good, but I'd have never guessed it's an axe. It looks more like a guitar or a bizarre gardening tool.

Offline Juniorps

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:27:52 pm
Everybody say that :crazy:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:30:21 pm by Juniorps »