AuthorTopic: Castle Platformer Tileset [C+C WIP] (hugely updated)  (Read 10126 times)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)
This is one of only a few things I've ever done involving tiles so far as a pixel artist. Any feedback on it would be appreciated, as I'm just trying to get this right as I go based on memory of threads I've read here and what silly amounts of common sense I came built with.

I'm making tiles and characters for a platforming game much akin to the Canabalt or Robot Unicorn style of play, just with extra elements thrown into the mix. Characters and other assets I'm good with (ignore the character in there, he'll be changing to something more fun looking, just kept it in there for size comparison). The thing I'm not so well-practiced with is tilesets. I've very roughly sketched out what one environment I would like to base a level on below:

And after a few hours of fiddling around, here is what I've ended up with so far, without any backdrop, foreground, paralax fun stuff, etc. thrown in.

Aaaaand it's 55 tiles so far. A good chunk of which are just mirrored versions of existing tiles. The 'windows' will be getting an overhaul, and those slat thingies in the middle of the stone platform with the two windows on either side of them were just to see what else could be done with those temporary window borders to make more use out of what was already created.

Not asking for anyone to redo a whole tileset to better handle the sketch I made or anything like that.  But just any crits on how I'm going about my tilemaking that could be executed more successfully would be very helpful to me. Always learning. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:39:22 pm by Argyle »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer Tileset [C+C WIP]

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:59:46 pm
I think your sketch looks way more fun than the pixels. I'm not much of a tile artist but here's my thoughts.

The problem is that you're tile set is way too uniform, if its not a matter of hardware restriction just go nuts, draw all the bits and pieces of the object as you would if you weren't thinking of tiles and then you can mix and match those, two tiles right next to each other can be surprisingly dissimilar and look fine. Try to paint the tiles with a bigger brush first, don't try to make everything so perfect, it's the opposite of what you want for really nice background art. You don't have to reuse tiles so much if they don't fit, once you get into the rhythm and understand your style a tiles gonna take no time at all. The two biggest problems I see are the shapes of the tiles being too standard, there is no reason for the edge tiles to be so blocky, compounded by the fact that the patterns inside the tiles are boring and uniform. The other problem is colour, all of your ramps are straight and there is no unity throughout the tile set.

I think the set would look better if you gave it a slight overhead view, you seemed to be leaning toward that in the sketch and I think it looks great. Please don't completely remove the underwater tiles, they would look very cool. Also, make the bricks much bigger, they look nice on the sketch and real life castles aren't made of bricks so small and uniform (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Windsor_castle_wall_01.JPG).

Anyway heres a quick sketch I did of a tile on the castle, it's probably not a style I would stick with but I hope it might get some of my points across a little and possibly give you some ideas. I also left the grid over it so you could see how easily everything could line up if you just drew over your sketch (which is a great way to keep everything natural looking).

Good luck

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:35:59 pm
32, thanks for the good words and demonstration. I had set out wanting this to be more along the lines of how your edit was going, then as I went into getting things to tiles, the details kept scrunching inward.  A decision was made before I even went further into these tiles to do a different level style based on a different sketch, so I will give it a go on that one.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer Tileset [C+C WIP] (castle running game - updated)

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:49 pm

Pretty all-inclusively different from last time.  New tiles, new background, new character, oh my!

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:45 am
That's a big improvement!! Suggestions: Darker outline for the characters, the guard looks dull on a grey background, and a lighter outline for the stuff in the far background like the castle : )
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: Castle Platformer Tileset [C+C WIP] (hugely updated)

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:43:17 am
What a great improvement! This one has so much more personality, and it grabs me so much more.

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:38:52 am
Another tip that just came to my mind: add some higher clouds in the sky, or some other detail, like towers in the distance, it's kinda empty compared to the lower part of the sky (pretty crowded with clouds)
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:22:21 pm
Agreed, especially because the clouds are so well done. (bravo)

The dark sea green stone tiles don't sit well with me, I think you should add another color to shade/AA them. Also, the rim highlight on much of the stone only works towards flattening them and getting rid of a lot of depth. It works well in the background on the castle's rounded parapets, but you use it much too liberally on the straight ones and priority is lost. It's a nice edge highlight, but consider alternatives.

The barrel doesn't match up with the quality of the rest, I'd suggest squishing it down a bit and using a darker shade along the lower portion (starting at the middle) to define its shape. The rims stick out far too much, try conforming them to the curve of the barrel and lose the defining outline along the bottom or top where they touch the wood to try to get them to blend better. (using the brown instead)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:44 pm
Thanks for the crits, appreciate the extra eyes!

The clouds will be raised more in the background, as I will add the cliche ocean horizon below them.  And more will fill up the background, as there is the further parallax layer that we will be adding, I had just not started up on it yet.  Will be less blank :)

The characters don't pop against the background as much as they should, so I will take you up on that darker outline idea, RedKnight.

Will have to revisit the points you touched on, Atnas.  Muchos grassy-ass!

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 07:23:36 am
Some very WIP shots of the background paralax layer, but at a good stage where they could benefit from critique. There is a lot of competition for focus back there going on with the colors of the water being so vibrant and how there is no transitionary blending of parts (like where the water meets the edge of cliffs, grassy areas being solid flat colors just sitting on top of the winding pathway) which will be rendered in time, but first I'm getting everything blobbed together. The video game reference cameos are just in there for fun, might not stay.

Also, the large castle back there I will be bringing in more things to make it more unified with the design of the foreground castle parts, like the cone that sits atop the towers. Just a sketch that ended up getting more focus on refining the lineart that it should have :)

Separated it into two screenshots for width purposes, but this is all one connected stretch for what is done so far.

Also a mockup with foreground things for fun after the first two.

Thanks!