AuthorTopic: Casual Pixel Art Encounters  (Read 30404 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: Casual Pixel Art Encounters

Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 03:26:21 pm
Hi! Just looking for some input on the anatomy in this piece. The proportions are intentionally a bit cartoony, big head and all. I'm just in need of some fresh eyes to discern any potential anatomical inconstencies.

The image to the right was the first version, but I was unsatisfied with the arm positioning and thickness of the forearm (?). When I made it thinner it just practically became a straight line which didn't look too good. So i changed the positioning to where the arm is now mostly behind him in this perspective (left image). Does it make sense, anatomy-wise?

No reference was used.

Feel free to comment on anything else you see that stands out to you, too.

Thanks!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: September 29, 2012, 11:16:49 pm
WIP I started tonight:

I'm pretty excited about it! ;D
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 06:25:23 am
bada-bump!
(I haven't finished the neutral transition for downwards yet)
Swimming is another late gameplay addition to Fetch Quest, until now water was just an insta-kill. We're gonna have the engine rotate the sprites when changing between directions so we avoid any hiccups in his movements, I think it's really important for swimming to feel and look fluid in a video game, it's very jarring to be able to suddenly change direction on 1 frames notice.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 06:37:24 am
The transition looks weird to me, esp on the first one. I don't think it would be easy to rotate underwater like that without using your arms a lot more. I think the transtion should be led by a stroke of the arms. Would make it look a lot more believable.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #54 on: September 14, 2013, 01:54:51 am
These transitions are only 3 frames and are used again in reverse on the other end of the animation, I don't really want to use more than 3 frames for the transitions and I'd still like to use the same anim in reverse if possible (I think all other transitions so far use 3 frames or less) but I'm not sure 3 frames is sufficient to convey a realistic motion with the arms or if it would make any sense in reverse.
But you are right and it's the issue I've been having with the transition for downwards swimming since it's the most drastic change in his orientation.

I'll try out some changes and post the results in a coupla days/weeks/months, thanks ptoing
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:19:19 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 03:50:36 pm
Made a new tree:

I'm sure I'll still make changes and stuff, but it's pretty much done. (I hate pixeling leaves)

Gorgeous!  How many colors did you limit yourself to for the tree/leaves?

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 06:28:50 am

Based off of this character: http://derpiboo.ru/429548

I should still be doing more anatomy homework as I'm aiming for stylized doll-like anatomy but anything worth mentioning, feel free to mention.