AuthorTopic: Casual Pixel Art Encounters  (Read 30396 times)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Re: Casual Pixel Art Encounters

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 01:58:42 pm
I am really enjoying the overlayed design lines for the background. It brings the non-cartoonilly rendered clouds in to mesh with the cartoony rest of the game artwork.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 07:21:02 pm
I have to agree with Argyle; the elements mesh surprisingly well, and I really like the sense of brightness they give overall.

Some fossil rpg enemies (vaguely ff6-styled/inspired.)  I like how the dinosaur turned out (though I know that anyone who knows the first thing about therapsid anatomy would probably be deeply offended), but the other two (trilobite and giant/cyclops skeleton) feel iffy.

(note that the skull of the cyclops is inspired by a dwarf mammoth skull, which may have been a root of cyclops/giant myths.)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:33 am
jams0988, it's not really necessary to post your images at such large proportions, this forum has a built in zoom feature Wink
I know. I wanted a large version of it, so I print-screened it and saved in MS-Paint. Since it was a sketch, that was the only version I saved. =P
And since when does the 3DS have a drawing program? What are you using?

Even if you buy a real tablet, you might still use the 3DS...I used to sketch with some homebrew program on the original DS, and drawing on an actual screen as opposed to my screenless graphire was actually a fun change of pace, hahah.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:43:42 am by jams0988 »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 06:46:03 am
Thanks guys, sharing work gives a real sense of reward and it's always inspiring to see what others can create.
jams0988, it's not really necessary to post your images at such large proportions, this forum has a built in zoom feature ;)

Here's what I'm currently working on:

First area of the game, still an obvious WIP. I actually first sketched this on my 3DS and I think it's something I'll do more often, unless of course I buy a real tablet. :P
Ya I agree with the others. I really like how the outlines fade and it's something I've done before(although not for a game)

and I think it's an awesome effect. It's an amazing way to force focus on the foreground without an immediate change in style(from outlines to no outlines).

Beyond that this looks amazingly smooth and pleasing on the eye, even though there's lots of saturation going on. The ship almost looks like it was a 3D rendering with no shading.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:48:03 am by Dusty »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:55 am
And since when does the 3DS have a drawing program? What are you using?

Even if you buy a real tablet, you might still use the 3DS...I used to sketch with some homebrew program on the original DS, and drawing on an actual screen as opposed to my screenless graphire was actually a fun change of pace, hahah.
When you view any photo on the 3DS it gives you an option to doodle on top of it, it isn't very deep but it's decent.

I really like those skeletons redshrike, very smooth and a nice palette- you've got me thinking about creating a skeleton type enemy... Also really like that japanese map dusty, reminds me of the goemon game map screens, what did you make it for?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:51 pm
Very awesome clouds there Taka! :D Although the line on the horizon and some more things are a little irritating ^^
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 01:16:07 am
Also really like that japanese map dusty, reminds me of the goemon game map screens, what did you make it for?
Thanks. Was my only Pixeljoint challenge entry http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1248

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 04:32:23 am
This started with PixelJoint looking for new emoticons.  I thought it was an interesting challenge, although I was never going to submit anything (not a member).  Different expressions that had to fit within 24x24 pixels.  Which lead to the v1 faces below.  I set the whole thing aside for a while and then came back and tried the larger v2 face, but I think I'm on the wrong track.

The expressions cover about half of the emoticons on the PixelJoint list.  Some of them are working well, some of them aren't.  The ones that are working make me smile, so I thought I'd share.  The other sections were areas working out some different ideas.

The v2 face was made to see what the face looks like with a nose and to practice some form.  I think it has lost much of the charm of the original, although some of that is due to the default colors.  My inclination is to go back to the smaller v1 face and continue working from there.

Feedback welcome.
  • Would adding the lighting (from the v2 head) to the v1 face make it worse?
  • Alternate jawlines?  Or does it just not matter that much?
  • Feedback on the hairstyles?  I kind of like the tank girl punk version, but, eh, not too many punks around these days
  • And anything else of course.

Tourist

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 11:34:24 pm
me

I brought it here:

Mouth needs a lot of work, and it generally needs finishing, anything else?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:09 pm
Cow

Is this a self portrait? I don't know what you look like but judging by your WIP you look human and convincingly lit if lacking a little contrast. Good stuff.

Random portrait tips; It's sometimes quite hard to recognise your own idiosyncrasies, try looking at a mirrored photo of yourself to double check relationships between elements, especially the tip of the nose & eyes. Don't be afraid to exaggerate small quirks to accentuate and heighten a likeness.

Is this intended for a particular project? It's quite big and you could probably achieve a likeness at a lower resolution if you wanted.

Tourist

Thanks for sharing :),

I don't think these are effective as smilies in themselves primarily because they spend too much real-estate looking like a girl and not enough like an expression, The natty Christmas themed smilies on the forum are also nice but not as effective as snake's skew pixel set for the same reasons.

Practising a variety of expressions is always constructive even if you don't submit these anywhere, If you enjoyed it also try doing one of those 25 essential expression sheets doing the rounds on DeviantArt et al.