AuthorTopic: Isometric log cabin  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Isometric log cabin

on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:34 pm
This is part of a larger isometric scene I'm making. It's a sort of colonial log cabin with random bits strewn around it.

It's really messy and uses a lot of colors and I'm afraid the grass might be too noisy for some items to clearly show, like the campfire. I used a few Age of Empires images as references to get an idea of how to render certain things. Later I'm going to add a trail, lots of foliage and a halfway constructed cabin if my attention span allows it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:52:14 pm by Xamllew »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Isometric log cabin

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:46:32 am
34 colors so far.

Looks nice. Yes, the grass is a tad on the noisy side, but it all comes together with a nice cohesion. Would love to see a forest in this tileset.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:18 am
Wonderful. :)

Yeah I think you could rework the palette and save some colours, but the main issue I see is no real sense of lighting. Where's the lightsource?

I think you could make the figure pop a little more in the scene, as well.

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:30 am
Thanks guys.

Eyecraft: The light source is above and a tad to the front so the shaded areas would be opposite of the view making it a little easier on the colors because I can use relatively close values for both sides of the cabin.
I'm still trying to figure a way of making characters pop out more without adding more colors.

Trees, tell me your secrets.

I've been looking at a lot of other user's trees for help with them, the Alpine/fir tree is especially tough since there aren't many pixel references for them.
NOTE: this is just a test scene for seeing how objects work with everything else, hence the pink scribbles.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:42:37 am by Xamllew »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:44:05 am
Cabin looks great, I love the textures especially the chimney stack, but the shape of the roof doesn't look like it would provide good drainage for the rain.
I don't know what the reference is but its hard to imagine a flat area where water and snow would build up and soak through the roof, so some kind of angle is needed.
 Also it should extend at the bottom and front to provide some kind of eves, the shadows from which would help to better define the light source.
If however, you went with a change of light source to be more from right to left (before u draw heaps other stuff), you would get much stronger sense of form across all the shapes - just a suggestion.
At the moment because the left side of the structure still picks up a little light, it isn't a very strong impression and we have to use the clues to determine the source...

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:22:45 am
I never even considered snow and such, damn my snowless Floridian climate. I'm probably not going to worry about the roof shape. Extending the roof is something I'm going to have to do though. I didn't think the light source was confusing when I decided on it, I didn't want to worry about casting long shadows when I spammed up the scene with trees.

Which, by the way

Trees. Kind of unrefined as each were done in around an hour. The first three are revisions of the same shape, still not satisfied with what I came out with, I'm going to make another one or two alpines later.