AuthorTopic: [C+C] WWII sprites for flash game  (Read 9867 times)

Offline Yuri

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] WWII sprites for flash game

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:50:39 pm
Thanks for constructive feedback on the background, unlike the sprites it's still major work in progress. The pic is actually from in game (not mock-up), there's some animation going on (goose, butterfly, flags, bat). The flags were bugging me but I didn't quite knew why, definitely will remove that black outline :y:

I also had feeling Gargoyle is out of place, maybe I'll remove it. The concept is that the player side is all cutey and flowery and when you scroll right you discover the enemy side is macabre/sinister hence the geese on the left side.

The major problem as you've picked up is that the game is in oblique perspective while the tileset is in top down perspective. There's no extensive free tile-set in oblique perspective so I'll probably stick to this one because it enables me to work faster.

So far I've found a few ways to coerce the perspective and try to match aesthetic but it's not perfect.
- add an oblique shadow to the objects
- skew the sprite and fill in missing parts
- replace dithering with shading (not done yet)

example before :

after :
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:32:06 pm by Yuri »

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] WWII sprites for flash game

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 03:15:42 pm
The sudden change in perspective reminds me of Inception.

Other than that, I really like how the game looks--vibrant yet not too saturated :)
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)