AuthorTopic: GR#060 - Super Daimyo - Low Res Game Art  (Read 31068 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Super Daimyo

Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:42 pm
This looks lovely. The only thing that bugs me is the shore corners, with the chunks bitten out of them.
If you make this game use a 2nd overlay tile layer for those.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59:33 pm
Yeah man, looking really attractive. Surprisingly nice colors adaptation there.

Why use an overlay just for those tiles? I say a couple tiles are missing from yer collection. Specifically, 01, 03, 07 and 09.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:16:37 am by Mathias »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:48 am
^ I think the idea is that the missing corners allow tiles like the rocks in the water to fit where corners exist.

Putting a layer overlay wouldn't seem appropriate for GBC hardware, though.  I think it'd be better to adapt the vertical edges to make it seem like they're curving around (like the horizontal tiles gracefully do) while still tiling well.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 12:17:39 am
The colourcount per tile is already above what the GBC could do anyway :P

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 12:52:41 am
I like my solution anyway.  All the less time being in a map editor having to place corner tiles, and corner tiles tend to be very small and take up small portions of larger tiles, so it saves some space.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:56:49 am by KittenMaster »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 02:33:03 am
This looks lovely. The only thing that bugs me is the shore corners, with the chunks bitten out of them.
If you make this game use a 2nd overlay tile layer for those.

Oh that's a great idea! I was just going to make every possible combination of shoreline plus reef as their own unique tiles. Yuck!

Yeah man, looking really attractive. Surprisingly nice colors adaptation there.

Why use an overlay just for those tiles? I say a couple tiles are missing from yer collection. Specifically, 01, 03, 07 and 09.

Oh you number them the same way I do! :crazy:

Also missing 15 and 16. ^-^ It's just that the Reef tile should be placeable on any water tile, so there needs to be a Reef variation for all 15 shore/water tiles. Better to just make it an overlay.

And yeah, I was actually kind of surprised myself. Much earlier on I toyed with doing a kind super-gameboy-style palette-swap for all the tiles. So swap out the second lightest grey for, say, green, for the bamboo forests, orange for the mountains, etc etc. It looked pretty awful, I really didn't like it. So when I decided again to "try it with colour" I was a bit skeptical.

I like my solution anyway.  All the less time being in a map editor having to place corner tiles, and corner tiles tend to be very small and take up small portions of larger tiles, so it saves some space.

It's simple enough to make the map editor automatically generate the appropriate shorelines based upon where you place water and land.

Having said that, I did actually consider the method you've suggested before ptoing suggested overlays. I do see merit in it when more hardware restrictions apply.  :)

Speaking of restrictions, they're basically thrown out the window at this point. I just put colours where I WANT now.  :hehe:

Little tiny update, just some stuff I did before I went to bed:

Worked on the castle, tweaked the grass colour, polished the small mountain tile.

In other news, I started... sort of... coding it? I got it loading a tileset and generating a random map. Small steps (I've never used lua before...)

More betterer updates to come!

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 04:12:25 am
CORNERS NEXT :D

But yeah, seriously, 2 layers for tiles is pretty good for most things like this. Square also used 2 layers in FFTA to make the diagonal bits you can go behind and whatnot. Works very well.

Some stuff does not read well tho. What are the blue tiles in the top right? I have no idea.
And the units look a bit low in colour atm compared to the lush background tiles (very nice for what is done).
I think keeping black or very dark outlines is a good idea, but I would add a bit more colour to them and get rid of the white skin probably.
Perhaps instead of black outline try how a quite saturated dark blue and red would look.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:15:20 am by ptoing »

Offline Kragagam

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 02:46:08 pm
I have to say that I really like the idea of different tiles giving different advantages for different units. I love the way the menus look and the style of the graphics and the choice of colors in the environment in the later pictures, buckets of better than the snow thing imo. It feels as if the uniforms of the two sides should differ more from each other; though I'm not sure what you had in mind with the background story.

Will the maps be of that size? (I'm a sucker for big maps)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:14:37 pm by Kragagam »

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 03:29:25 pm
All greys and no hues make Pype a dull boy
aLl greys aNd no hues make Pype a dull boy
all ...

Is there no hope you could bring a little tint to those white-grey-greyer backgrounds ? bluer skies ... pinker mountains ? ... even if this should all be snow, we should see some blueish shadows, shouldn't we ? or is that something the GBC restrictions prevent you to do ?

Are you serious? This style looks amazing and unique. Not every game has to have insanely saturated color and stuff. This is more subtle.

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 03:39:50 pm
It's a shame to see those wonderfully gray hues go, but your new edits do look wonderful. (Especially those cherry blossom forests. ;) )
The only issue I see is that the grass's hue seems a little too overpowering, perhaps a slight darkening could be helpful.
I am loving the way this project is coming along, and CANNOT WAIT to actually play it! ;D