AuthorTopic: GR#060 - Super Daimyo - Low Res Game Art  (Read 31055 times)

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Super Daimyo

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:09:22 pm
Excellent work EyeCraft, I have been avidly following this project and it only seems to get better. ;D

I really am impressed with your ability to utilize a minimal palette, but still produce such distinctive tiles and sprites.

The only problem I have noticed is that the large ship, the one you placed in the mock up, portrays a distinctively round shape.
To me it ends up looking like a bath tub, maybe shifting a pixel or two might help.  ;)

I sincerely hope this becomes a playable game, 'cause it looks like a ton of fun.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:48 am
Wow, just popped in to say I love the direction this has taken, you have a really fun-looking mockup so far!

Your GUI updates seem good as well, quite clear and concise. The bar for the "special power" - does the actual power depend on which commander you've chosen? If so, why not make the actual commander's bar be a visible cue for how much power he has? like a loading bar, color a fraction of the icon in blue?

Also, what does the number of stars and the little icon above that represent? No crits otherwise, very clean :)

Do you mean colour a portion of the commander's picture blue? I don't like that because there isn't a consistent distribution of the grey tone that the blue would replace across the entire image of the portrait, so reading exactly how much power you have built up would be a little difficult sometimes.

Or if you mean the blue bar beneath your currency being used as a power bar, I don't like that because I want the team colour to be visible on the HUD at all times, and if you are very low on power, the bar would be empty, meaning the HUD would be only grey.

Always good to hear suggestions, though!

The 5 dots underneath the portrait are indicators of how much power you have built up. Each commander has a different sized bar to match how significant his ability is and how it should be used (ie save up for a single devastating stroke, or constantly spout out little boosts).

The stars indicate the defensive rating of the tile the selected unit is standing on. The higher the rating, the more protected the unit is from damage. The icon above that is a picture of the tile itself (in the mockup its a Cherry Blossom Orchid).

Excellent work EyeCraft, I have been avidly following this project and it only seems to get better. ;D

I really am impressed with your ability to utilize a minimal palette, but still produce such distinctive tiles and sprites.

The only problem I have noticed is that the large ship, the one you placed in the mock up, portrays a distinctively round shape.
To me it ends up looking like a bath tub, maybe shifting a pixel or two might help.  ;)

I sincerely hope this becomes a playable game, 'cause it looks like a ton of fun.

Ah yes, I did kind of waffle that one a bit. I'll give it a bit more attention.

I've been thinking about how to turn it into an actual game, what tools to use, but I'm not really at that point yet, I'll just keep pixelling until then.  :)

EDIT: Oh I thought of a use for Rice Paddies. They boost the rate which you gain Commander Ability power. So having lots of paddies means you can use your ability more often.  ^-^
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:22:38 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Wesley

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 03:11:50 pm
This is looking superb so far. The amount of detail that you've squeezed in to this with how limited you are is awesome. This is a game I would love to be able to actually play. I can't wait to see what you do with it next.

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:02:20 pm
First of all, great work! I love how you make the terrain so recognisable with only 3 colors. Also great readability overall!

Some points:
- I'm having issues with the mortar. Actually I couldn't tell what it was but had to look up your description. I don't know, maybe it needs to be blockier or something?
- The hud is great but I feel that the dithered fog-of-war and attack/move grids hide the terrain too much, especially for the more complex tiles. Could maybe work with only marking the corners as with the selected unit.

Lol, I'd love to play the game =)

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 01:40:41 pm
To show what I mean, edit of user interface:

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 03:21:44 pm
Thank you Fickludd, I like the approach you've suggested quite a bit. Shall implement it in the next update!

Until then, another small update:

Added up/down directions for a bunch of sprites. Still a few to go. Tweaked the Heavy Bune's shape a bit.

Started working on the combat-scene sprite for the Yari infantry. I've given him a more oriental helmet, as the conventional skull cap they have in the overworld sprite felt a little too European. Will be making the adjustment to the overworld sprite in the future.

Here's an idea of how it would look in a battle scene, though they would all be animated in bloody exchanges (to come)! Also there needs to be a HUD...  ::)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:45:51 am
Lookin awesome man!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 07:30:19 am
All greys and no hues make Pype a dull boy
aLl greys aNd no hues make Pype a dull boy
all ...

Is there no hope you could bring a little tint to those white-grey-greyer backgrounds ? bluer skies ... pinker mountains ? ... even if this should all be snow, we should see some blueish shadows, shouldn't we ? or is that something the GBC restrictions prevent you to do ?

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 07:18:03 am
All greys and no hues make Pype a dull boy
aLl greys aNd no hues make Pype a dull boy
all ...

Is there no hope you could bring a little tint to those white-grey-greyer backgrounds ? bluer skies ... pinker mountains ? ... even if this should all be snow, we should see some blueish shadows, shouldn't we ? or is that something the GBC restrictions prevent you to do ?

I wanted to play a lot with the 4 grey palette because I greatly enjoyed balancing the tones to achieve desired contrast levels. I think I've had my fix regarding that now, so yes, let's try adding some colour. :)

Just been colour-replacing the tiles then dressing them up a bit. Some remain unpolished, namely the small bamboo forest, the small mountain, the shore tiles and the castle. Sprites are untouched.

To clarify, the greyscale version is not set in a snowscape.

Also, I found an engine I might code this into an actual game with.  ;D

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:17 am
Boom! Magic!

I would decrease the sat of the grass as it's really really bright at the moment. Looks tasty though! :)