AuthorTopic: [C+C] Platformer Female Main Character  (Read 7742 times)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Platformer Female Main Character

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:10:58 pm
I am working on a small personal project that will be a platformer. I've been designing the main character for a while now. Honestly, this is my first real foray into the world of pixel art and while I've admired many artists and their pixel art, I've never felt like I had the creativity and talent to make it work for me.

[triplesnip]

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on these so far.

Throughout all of these variations, even the latest one, it's still whispering into my ears constantly flooding them with faint cries of "Cave Story sprite edit." The second one didn't help much, the head's practically the same. You could use a bit more originality, and let your character's personality show.

I honestly think that restricting yourself to the NES palette wasn't the best idea. Keep in mind that a limited palette also limits your piece. There are a lot of colors, let's face it, you don't really need for a sprite this site. Additionally, the piece lacks contrast. Use darker darks and lighter lights, and use more color variation throughout the design. Now when I say "color variation" I'm not saying "turn this piece into a rainbow furry wannabe", but I'd at least like to see the jacket a different color than the hair to help distinguish body from head and, in turn, improve readability.

In this edit I might not have hit the nail on the head when it comes to the character of this, well, character (went with kind of an adventurous tomboy semi-ninja thing but yours seemed to lean further in that direction), but it does prove a couple of points. More contrast to make shading more apparent, a better head, bit of reshaping on the body which I hope doesn't come off as fat... Basically it.

Three variations: Green, pink and blue jackets/jumpsuits, less colors on top row, more colors on the bottom row (but frankly there isn't that much of a difference at a glance). Personally I'm most fond of the blue jumpsuit, green jumpsuit as runner up, but that's just me.

One last tip: For sprites this small you're gonna have to sacrifice some details to keep it readable, so I'd recommend ditching the striped bandana. If you must, a row of pixels over the hair for a headband will suffice but I don't suggest that either.

No offense, Piff, but I think you're going in the wrong direction by suggesting to pack in more details into something this size, which is essentially what you're doing by taking details over from a larger drawing into a much smaller one. Or having to thoroughly explain things people don't get, just visually. Excuse me if I'm getting something wrong here. (Doing it anyway though, lol)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:20:09 pm by pistachio »

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:19:42 pm
Wow pistachio, those look so 3D! I like the bottom right one the best.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline Nyxation

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:12:09 pm
Throughout all of these variations, even the latest one, it's still whispering into my ears constantly flooding them with faint cries of "Cave Story sprite edit." The second one didn't help much, the head's practically the same. You could use a bit more originality, and let your character's personality show.

I'm not sure what about the newer sprites is giving you the vibe of being a Cave Story sprite edit. I clearly admitted to doing so on the very original, as seen by this comparison:

But I'm not seeing how these compare beyond the fact that the face is square and the eyes are lines:

I honestly think that restricting yourself to the NES palette wasn't the best idea. Keep in mind that a limited palette also limits your piece. There are a lot of colors, let's face it, you don't really need for a sprite this site. Additionally, the piece lacks contrast. Use darker darks and lighter lights, and use more color variation throughout the design. Now when I say "color variation" I'm not saying "turn this piece into a rainbow furry wannabe", but I'd at least like to see the jacket a different color than the hair.

In this edit I might not have hit the nail on the head when it comes to the character of this, well, character (went with kind of an adventurous tomboy semi-ninja thing but yours seemed slightly more "cute"--although that's not so likely for the main heroine of a video game, but it does prove a couple of points. More contrast to make shading more apparent, a better head, bit of reshaping on the body which I hope doesn't come off as fat... Basically it.

I went with the NES Palette for two reasons, the first being that I am a huge fan of retro style games with clear pixalation, especially those of the NES era. The second is that my skills are not in design or art, but in programming. I have all the mechanics and framework finished for my game. Now is a matter of visual content that I'm struggling with. I can't admit to knowing much about colors, what colors work best, which hues compliment and which conflict, or much else in that matter. It greatly helps me to have a set of colors I know I have to work with and make work.

I can appreciate the effect that the additional colors have on yours, with the dept they give. I know that shading is my big issue right now and I know that getting a set light point would help me out. I agree with you on the color of the jacket. I fought with a lot of different colors and eventually gave in to the red for the time being. I'll experiment with it more to see if I can come up with something that goes better with everything else.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier or if it matters, but everything will be played at 2x scale.

One last tip: For sprites this small you're gonna have to sacrifice some details to keep it readable, so I'd recommend ditching the striped bandana. If you must, a row of pixels over the hair for a headband will suffice but I don't suggest that either.

No offense, Piff, but I think you're going in the wrong direction by suggesting to pack in more details into something this size, which is essentially what you're doing by taking details over from a larger drawing into a much smaller one. Or having to thoroughly explain things people don't get, just visually. Excuse me if I'm getting something wrong here.

I'm not fully understanding what problem people are having with the bandana. The person the character is based off of wears them regularly, if not some other even bigger and outlandish headpiece, so I felt this would help convey that person. As I mentioned this project is being done for my girlfriend, so I am trying to play to my audience by designing it to what I hope she will like.

Looking at it more, I think that it may be better to stretch it out and make it taller. Hopefully this'll allow for more spacing of details and in turn readability.

My apologies if I've come off stubborn or rude. I do greatly appreciate all the input everyone has given thus far and it has been quite helpful. I just don't want to bend to the point where it doesn't represent who I want it to nor go away from the direction of the rest of the project.

Thank you, pistachio, for your help. I'll try to work on this and apply your advise to see if I can make something better soon.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:46:14 pm
I'm not sure what about the newer sprites is giving you the vibe of being a Cave Story sprite edit. I clearly admitted to doing so on the very original, as seen by this comparison:

But I'm not seeing how these compare beyond the fact that the face is square and the eyes are lines:

And that's it. A square head and narrow lines for eyes, as well as proportions generally reaching only about 2 heads, are probably the most notable and iconic thing about CS sprites (of Quote and Curly, its main characters). It's pretty much what makes them them. People who have played the game or at least heard of it will probably look at this and go, "Huh, there's something about this that reminds me of those sprites from Cave Story..." (Whether they put their finger on it or not depends on what they remember of the sprite and the connections between these two.) This sprite branched off of an edit of Curly, but at least I can still trace it back. I suppose you could get away with a slight change of head or eyes. (Wait, is that animated? What's she doing in the animation?)

I went with the NES Palette for two reasons, the first being that I am a huge fan of retro style games with clear pixalation, especially those of the NES era. The second is that my skills are not in design or art, but in programming. I have all the mechanics and framework finished for my game. Now is a matter of visual content that I'm struggling with. I can't admit to knowing much about colors, what colors work best, which hues compliment and which conflict, or much else in that matter. It greatly helps me to have a set of colors I know I have to work with and make work.

Frankly, your sprite didn't hit me as looking "retro", other than it's small and therefore fairly pixelated. As said before--I think I said this before--the palette wasn't the best choice either. A good way to retain the NES look is to keep in mind that hardware limitations of the system generally restricted the sprite to 3 colors, not including transparency. Lowering the color count of the sprite to about 3 to 5 colors can be tricky to work with, but it's possible. Mostly I prefer using a dark color, and two other colors that differ in brightness such that one can be used as a midtone, the other a highlight, each for various accessories on the sprite. (You don't have to do this if you want. In fact with all the details the sprite has you probably shouldn't. Either that or simplify it somehow.) Also keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to use the NES palette, as I myself find it not that optimized and very monochromatic. Mush's 8-bit sprites are actually good examples of this technique. Basically, pretend the highest specs for your sprite are actually pretty low.

As for skills in art, don't worry, you'll get better with practice and time. Look at Arne. He's a programmer and a fine artist as well. He even has some tips on light in this well-known tutorial, which I find would be beneficial to the sprite('s shading) and perhaps your future works.

I'm not fully understanding what problem people are having with the bandana. The person the character is based off of wears them regularly, if not some other even bigger and outlandish headpiece, so I felt this would help convey that person. As I mentioned this project is being done for my girlfriend, so I am trying to play to my audience by designing it to what I hope she will like.

Looking at it more, I think that it may be better to stretch it out and make it taller. Hopefully this'll allow for more spacing of details and in turn readability.

What? I'd prefer you elaborated on what you mean by this. But for now, I'll try to come up with something given what I've got; I think the bandana's fine as it is and doesn't need to be stretched out or made taller. Seeing as it's such a bright color paired with repeated patterns of another bright color, a large blotch of patterned bright color potentially even larger than the head would draw most or all attention to itself, leaving everything else behind. Actually I take it back; it's not fine just yet. Its brightness should perhaps be lowered.

Thank you, pistachio, for your help. I'll try to work on this and apply your advise to see if I can make something better soon.

Anytime.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:22:49 am by pistachio »

Offline Nyxation

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 02:57:43 am
Thanks for all the help and advice, pistachio. I was afraid that after coming off of a rough day at work that my previous post made me come off as a raving jerk-off. And yes, the animation your seeing is the current mouth. I didn't mean to include it animated, but that was from me a saving lazily.

The more I look at the sprite and play with what colors I have, I do agree with how the NES Palette is not really the best suited for this approach. I know there are some suggested palettes floating about the board I have seen before. I'll try and dig those up to play with and see what I can come up with.

I wasn't meaning to say that I wanted to change the size of the bandana, I was moreso meaning the character herself. The more I looked at it after your post, the more chubby and stumpy it looked. I figured since I'm already going over the 16 pixel height, I'd try to stretch her out a bit to allow for more defined anatomy and detail.

I'll give the tutorial you linked to a good read. I'm sure it'll help a bunch. Thanks again!

Offline GuilhermeEin

• 09:43 PM
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 05:31:25 pm
Hmm... you could've at least linked the source of your "inspiration". Your second sprite is merely a sprite edit of something I made a few days ago! And tbh it was still pretty unfinished as an style! Even my sprite had clear "cave story" roots, and my goal is to perfect it to stay farther from Pixel's style.

Oh well. I hope you can take it down a personal route yourself inspired by the edits other users have done.
Good luck!

Offline Nyxation

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:52:39 pm
Hmm... you could've at least linked the source of your "inspiration". Your second sprite is merely a sprite edit of something I made a few days ago! And tbh it was still pretty unfinished as an style! Even my sprite had clear "cave story" roots, and my goal is to perfect it to stay farther from Pixel's style.

Oh well. I hope you can take it down a personal route yourself inspired by the edits other users have done.
Good luck!

My apologies, you are correct. Thank you for your kind words. Back to the drawing board for me.