AuthorTopic: GR#067 - Punk Furry Tail High - Chars  (Read 27742 times)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: WIP Punk FurryTail High

Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 11:06:07 pm
Not as much fan of the latest updates, sorry to say, but at least you've made progress. I find the background a bit distracting and its perspective rather surreal, and the contrast a bit low. Some colors tend to clash as well, and are pretty saturated and unusual, actually. I'd probably prefer a different/modified color scheme as opposed to what you have now. (Now that I realize, isn't that the same character you attempted to draw last time?)

The head is still a bit malformed, and you managed to let a few anatomical faults slip through; for example, the way the neck is attached to the body. These do become a bit more obvious when colored in. I must say her left leg looks a bit uncomfortable and illogical as well, so that's something you might want to look into. You also seem to be a bit confused with your direction. Before coloring the piece, and adding in all these futuristic details (which I'm not sure you needed) I think it was pretty clear before that you wanted this to be along the lines of a majestic foreign princess-thing--at least from my point of view.

The change (or rather, addition) of eyebrows give her a sort of agitated, annoyed look, unlike the longing and almost emotional gaze you had in the original drawing and first draft. I find this unfitting for a lounging pose such as the one she's assumed.

A last note, I figure a lightsource coming from the upper left might have been more interesting. You could end up with a cast shadow on the wall she's sitting on! And who doesn't like cast shadows? (Not figuring out where to leave them; when done right, I mean they're rather attractive.)

These are just some points I thought you should know. I'll be making an edit.

EDIT

In the middle of this edit I ended up getting confused with direction as well, so this probably isn't what you wanted, considering you wanted the piece to share similar colors with its last iteration... So in terms of that, it might as well belong in the Lineart thread. :yell:

However there is an advantage to this; there are a lot of details you forgot about that could have been potentially interesting. I didn't expect this to turn out to be the same character as last time, basically.

I did make an attempt to correct a few problems and change the direction of the lightsource... I think I did a decent job on that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:03:04 am by pistachio »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 07:31:29 am
Thankyou for your edit, itll help a lot :)
i was trying to draw a picture similar to Alphonse Mucha drawing :) Your palette is looking very interesting, more nicer and your technic still embares me ;) ill try to work on it :)
Thanks for help

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 03:00:07 am
Your anatomy is starting to get a little funky. I'd suggest mirroring your art and work on it backwards for a while every now and then to make sure you're actually seeing what you've drawn.

The thing that really pops out to me about your newest update is the absence of a pop. I look at your character, and she kinda just blends in with the background, and vise versa. There's not a clear "Hey, eyes! Look at me! I'm the important thing!" At the stage of your latest update, this is one of the more important things to get nailed down so that you don't have to rework it like crazy once it's all refined and pretty.

I took a ton of liberties with my edit, so forgive me.

Here are some of the more important things I changed?I played with the composition to try to make your character pop, I tried to balance the values (not the colors), I tried to clean up the anatomy, and I established a strong light source to add a little bit more visual interest.

Here's the first stage of my edit, mostly addressing the super duper important parts of the piece, and getting a good base to work from.

I identified the round thing in the back, the ledge, and the character as the meat of the image...the parts that I felt held everything together and made it all work. Notice that here I only used the brightest color on your character (ignore the couple stray white pixels on the round thing), and I did that to try to bring her more to the front so that she would attract the most attention, because while the wall and round thing are very important, they're the background and are mainly used just to seat the character, and provide a "world" where the character lives. I'll call your character ivy from now on.

The second stage diverges a little bit from my original goal.

At this stage I cleaned up Ivy just a little bit, to kind of reaffirm that that is where you need to be looking (and as general anatomy goes, what she should actually look like), with all of the craziness in the background that does little more than muck up the composition. This the place where I usually get really experimental, so I'll need to work on that. Notice that there is a whole lot more white. I felt the urge to make the light source super strong and bring the ledge more into the foreground since the random swirly details demand a more firm push towards Ivy. I'd call this stage a mistake since the extra details I added didn't actually do anything. They just sat on their lazy butts eating pizza and being pains.

The third stage is where I started reigning in the background, and got it to actually help frame Ivy.

With help from your piece I was able to come up with a more reasonable composition. I took the long branch looking part that's right above Ivy's head in your latest update, and built on that. This is really where the strong light source paid off in terms of visual interest. Notice that I used mostly light colors on the right, and mostly very dark colors to the left; while this does seem a little normal since well, y'know that's how it would work since the light source is coming from the right, and the shadow would be cast to the left, but notice where exactly I put the shadows. They don't really conform to how it would actually work in real life, and I didn't break the rules because I planned to break them; I put the shadows where, compositionally, they would make the most sense, and frame Ivy the best. It cuts most of the fat off of the background garbage, and (I hope) leaves your eyes knowing exactly where to go since there's a definite pop.

So, to recap, keep a strong composition throughout the entire creation. Try to keep the lights and darks that you established early on, and only use colors that are similar in value in those places. Like, in the shadows only ever use the three darkest shades, and in the more light parts, only use the three or four lightest shades. Keep your ramp in little "clusters" to avoid a big stew pot of confusing values; another thing is to identify only three or so super important parts of your piece that really need need to be there, and work those until you like them before moving on to the less important details; lastly, don't just add details for the sake of adding details. Try to make sure everything in your piece has a purpose?be it something that directs your eyes to the super duper important parts of the image, adds an extra level of immersion or depth to your piece, or whatever. Just try to make sure that no detail is there just to be there.

I hope I've helped you out in some way. You're awesome!