AuthorTopic: GR#067 - Punk Furry Tail High - Chars  (Read 27743 times)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: WIP Punk FurryTail High

Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:01:08 am
I like the addition of the rubble, adds alot to the composition and gives the nuke some grounding in the scene. I love your tiny sprites. She's flippin' adorable. The new gun is more readable but huge, she must have serious muscle tone.

The AA is awful! It makes it look more and not less jaggy. :-X Ptoing posted an awsome guide to AA recently in another thread. *goes to look*

http://ptoing.net/aa.png (from his post, in the moon thread) Actually just that whole thread is a pretty good AA tute, http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=12910.0 .

Since your nearing the end might be time to look at pallet optimisation. :) You have some very similar colours (like the dark grey in the rubble that's almost the same but less saturation as one of the greys on the nuke), that you could ditch. Also might consider increasing the contrast between the second darkest blue and dark grey (bottom of the nuke), since they read as almost the same colour and it would be more versitile if one was abit lighter.

All over good though. She needs to be the main character in a side-scrolling adventure/film noir style game. I'd play the heck out of that. Going to animate some of your sprites?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:02:43 am by heyy13 »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:16 pm
I like the addition of the rubble, adds alot to the composition and gives the nuke some grounding in the scene. I love your tiny sprites. She's flippin' adorable. The new gun is more readable but huge, she must have serious muscle tone.
Thanks, this character is still evolving from picture to picture :) I had a feeling that i have to remake all older sprites to make them look more like this last one.

The AA is awful! It makes it look more and not less jaggy. :-X Ptoing posted an awsome guide to AA recently in another thread.

Ive seen it, and im still try to analize ptoing picture. I was try to make something similar with my picture but it looses hard dark outlined comic style after that modyfications. So i was sterted to think how to combine my style and hard rules of AA to make them look... better. Becouse i know it wouldnt loook perfect, im still amateur in this materia. Itll take some longer time...

Since your nearing the end might be time to look at pallet optimisation. :) You have some very similar colours (like the dark grey in the rubble that's almost the same but less saturation as one of the greys on the nuke), that you could ditch. Also might consider increasing the contrast between the second darkest blue and dark grey (bottom of the nuke), since they read as almost the same colour and it would be more versitile if one was abit lighter.

Very good idea, i was thinking about that becouse i wanted to ad some other colours for background without increasing existing palette colours.

I also wanted to ad something more to the picture... but its probably too much.

All over good though. She needs to be the main character in a side-scrolling adventure/film noir style game. I'd play the heck out of that. Going to animate some of your sprites?
I was thinking about making her main character in platform game such like Another world. Where secret spy is dropped by enemy lines in IIww time. Spyes, chases, hiding in the dark, and solveing small puzzle quest like finding objects, keys, and transporting them to their destination avoiding guards or lights etc.
I was thinking about animating her sprites but right now i dont see reason, its quite early without whole project. Probably ill make some several other drawings before ill try to animate some sprites with that character.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:09:44 pm by Koyot1222 »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:23 am
I don't like the flag. Doesn't really add anything. If your going to put something else in the image possibly top right or bottom right? I think top left just makes the image heavy. Especially with such contrasting colours.

Don't diss it, there's definite improvment through-out the thread, practice makes perfect (or near enough that you don't go crazy atleast). :)

Sounds like exactly what i was imagining. May that game be realised.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 06:14:04 am
I don't like the flag. Doesn't really add anything.

Seconding that. Given you're doing a workbench background rather than a plain "wallpaper", I expect the user to want something that keeps sufficient amount of "empty" space so that he's got room to work around. Even the similing (?) mickey face is already eating up valualbe space, imho.

I'd really try to make window and buttons an integral part of your design. If your workbench environment supports that, try to theme up the window decoration according to your character (they could be reminiscent of her guns or belt, for instance) possibly add some low-contrast texture here and there to avoid a too large amount of "unused-space".

Just my .02€, btw. You're the one with the guns in hands :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:18:17 am by PypeBros »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:27 am
Last update:

I started to little dislike the picture, so its probably a good time to work on handdrawn project picture :)
Ive made small animation how long and hard road, it was to produce such small picture:

Probably it isnt good as a tutorial, too chaotic... too... But im impressed that i gone so far, probably without all yours good advices this picture will never be looking like that. Thanks to good people all who posted here.

And... It isnt bad after all as a Amiga Magellan wallpaper.
http://i.imgur.com/AlS2o.png
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:19:48 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 07:35:49 pm

Some little progres... :)

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 12:36:52 pm

Very deep water... :/

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 12:25:46 pm
I was fighting with face, probably i didnt won, but its quite better right now.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 05:48:31 pm
First, and it's not too big a deal, but I'd suggest you clean up the pixels and finalize the outline before you move on to coloring. Maybe something you might consider next time, it can help with the shading.

Second, I'm guessing the light source is at the top middle? Because right now, the face looks like a flat circle with a little bit of depth behind it. Sort of pancake shaped. If you just move the source a bit to one side, you can get some nice little shadows with the face to accent the features. Please excuse how dirty this edit is-

It gives it depth and some good contrast, and lets you play around with the shape of the facial features a bit.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:17:07 pm by Phlakes »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 06:39:36 pm
Thankyou :) Its very good advice, ill try to use it :)
Thankyou that yove spent some time for edit expecialy for me, its explains everything.

About picture: I was still thinking about composition, im still looking for palette, thats why its got little flat.
I was afraid that if i start to prepare details i will loose whole look. Thats why the composition and palete was so important for me :)

I very glad that you wrote those sugestions couse its another signal for me thats someone care about my work. Sometimes i just need time
when someone will put a hand on my neck and say "It isnt bad after all, just go another way, i can show you..." :D Its very important for me.