AuthorTopic: Critique some animations, yeah?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Critique some animations, yeah?

on: June 03, 2011, 07:37:52 am
Lately I've been fooling around with fairly low-res animations, and I'm just curious what people think about them.
Surely there's something that could be improved, I hope ;p
Anyway, here you go.
Too simple? Too flat? Too boring? etc

This thing actually has grey toes but you can hardly see them on the forum BG :s

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Critique some animations, yeah?

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:48 am
Hey, these actually have quite some character and readability considering they're only some 5 or 6 pixels high. I'd love to see these in a game actually, something along the lines of a platformer with graphics in the vein of Swords & Sorcery.

Not all of the colors seem to agree with the color of the forum background, but that's just the color of the forum background, of course. It could very well read against a different-color.

Simplicity is spot-on.
The sprite would actually benefit from being flat at this size. Too many colors, and it'll start to look like some sort of blob.
Boring? Right now, I think they're fine. Wouldn't hurt to see the contrast upped a bit, perhaps, though. But that really depends on the atmosphere you want to give off.

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Re: Critique some animations, yeah?

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:52:48 am
The bottom sprite's legs and arms are synchronized the wrong way. Other than that, pretty good.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)