AuthorTopic: [FINISHED]Hero of Allacrost: Second enemy sprite, [C+C] [5th Version]  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
So here's the new monster for Allacrost I'm working on...

I'm not sure anymore if the body is liquid or gas but what the hell, I'll go by rule of cool and we'll see what comes out.

I've got to at least improve the line art, I'm thinking on using heavy sel-out at least on the green part, or maybe even getting rid of the outline in the body. I'm also thinking of using different outlining in the body and feet/hands/mask to contrast the different materials.

Any suggestions?

Here's the second WIP:

Huh. I went too crazy with the mask. It's shitty for now.

[EDIT #2]:

And here's the third WIP:

Added shading to hands and feet, "hair" and left arm completely redrawn, left leg only partially.
Tried to give more depth to the swirls, shaded the outline of hands and feet.
Added notes of a third color just for kicks.

[EDIT #3]:

Fourth WIP:

Gave new shading to the mask following EyeCraft's example, and did a bit of tweaking here and there, changing swirls and darkening some parts.

[EDIT #4]:

FINAL VERSION:

Re-shaded its right gauntlet, added damaged versions. Well, moar liek substracted X_D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:07:00 am by Psiweapon »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [wip]Hero of Allacrost: Second enemy sprite, [C+C]

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:24:48 am
Cool character.
Do you make these up or do the guys tell you what they want?

I like it without outline if its gas, if its liquid it need some kind of outline.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: [wip]Hero of Allacrost: Second enemy sprite, [C+C]

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:53:29 am
One of the "artwork needs" was "three or four demons more" and I took that. Since demons are a pretty wild thing, I make them up. I doodled three sketches and they were okay with them.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Bumping for great justice and because of new WIP.

EDIT: Wow wow wow. Now that I'm seeing it here there are a lot of parts I'm not at all comfortable with. Specially it's left arm and knee, and the "hair". I like them even less than the mask.

I could seriously do with some suggestion from you guys. I expect some heavy changes as I progress with this piece.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:33:26 pm by Psiweapon »

Offline politopo

• View Profile
It's becoming a really good piece, instead of gas or liquid it's becoming leaves and groove, imho.
I did a small and fast edit to suggest you:
1) to use more contrast (but this is up to you)
2) to consider lightsource a little more and use shades to convey contrast (expecally for the behind leg)

hope you like it, it was not done with pixel tools though, so sorry :P

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
hope you like it, it was not done with pixel tools though, so sorry :P

Yes, I do like it, thanks for the edit!

And come on, it's just an edit, and a contrast one, I'm not that anal  :lol:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev
Love this character too.

Similar issues in this piece as there was with the Goro Salamander; form is broken up by over-rendered detail/texture. You don't really get any sharp edges with gaseous forms, it's very soft due to it's slightly translucent quality. I attempted to convey this as well as the overall form of the figure:

Still rough, but hopefully you get the idea of what I mean. Study clouds and explosions. :)

There's also a balance issue, I fiddled with it a bit, moving his centre of mass more over his feet... then I made him fly. I dunno, I haven't had breakfast yet  :crazy:

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Wow, thanks! Kudos for the warpspeed edit, it's awesome!

Your rendition of the mask I *will* take into account, take that for granted.

The problem with your texture is that I read it as beautifully executed foliage.

The absurd-texture-eats-picture thing... Wish me luck if just for compassion: it's an overall issue with most of my color art... and instead of fighting it I'm trying to improve it X_D In traditional media I build it following the imperfections of the paint or pencil at the sketch stage. Perhaps I should try the same with pixel-art, at least it woluld feel more "natural". Tomorrow I'll post some WIPs of an acrylic painting in the off topic creativity thread.

I've always been more of a "[Name], the [animal]!" kind of guy.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:11:38 am by Psiweapon »

Offline Roots

• Engineers don't make for very good artists (-_-)
    • View Profile
    • Hero of Allacrost Homepage
I really like your edit EyeCraft, it looks absolutely beautiful. But I agree with psiweapon that it looks too much like foliage than a gaseous demon. It makes the demon's body look like a soft pillow, kind of a downside for something that is intended to be a ferocious demon. :huh:

Hero of Allacrost, a 2D RPG for Windows, OS X, Linux
We are looking for additional pixel artists!!!