AuthorTopic: RPG Mockup  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

RPG Mockup

on: May 12, 2006, 11:34:36 pm
I tried experimenting with simple graphics. So I decided to do an RPG in the vein of Pokemon or something. It turned out pretty good in my opinion.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Re: RPG Mockup

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:39:58 pm
I like it. The mountain reminds me of Earthbound.
I can't really understand what the character's legs are doing though.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 11:40:42 pm
The style is pretty cool, but your character there is as big as a tree, and most likely won't be able to fit into that cave :P
Asides from that, I think as a whole, it's looking good, but the cliff/mountain could use some tiles to break up the long lines, and the bushes look... awkward. I think it's the outlines that are doing it, so try fiddling with that. Darker might be better.. or just up the contrast a little until it looks a bit more defined..

I like it though. Maybe the tree outlines could use a different colour? I don't know. The piece is nice though.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:54:49 pm
I like it. It has a good palette, and does a decent of breaking the grid.

Some crits: the cliff face seems a bit flat. Might be stylistic choice, but still... it's a smidge plain. Also, not too big on the character Maybe cause he's all blue, which is confusing me a bit, or maybe cause he's too big to fit in the world. Also, on a less significant note, I think the blue on those flowers is too dark or too saturated or something. They stand out a bit too much given the saturation/contrast levels of the rest of the tiles.

Could be because I have a bit of a mini fetish when it comes to game art, but I think this'd be badass if you used a character set that was, say... half that height? Just a thought.

Oh and apologies if it sounded like I don't like the character. The sprite itself looks solid, I just don't like it too much in the given context.

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 11:58:55 pm
Thanks, for the comments guys. As for the character, the reason he looks a little weird is because I did all the tiles then was like "man this needs a character" so I went through all my sprites and just popped him into it. (he's right in the middle of a walking animation so his legs are weird looking.)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 01:00:15 am
The character should be smaller than the tree or the tree bigger. Looks like the world of giant people.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 03:36:04 pm
Stop complaining about proportions. I'm sure everyone noticed that in pokemon proportions are off, as in every other rpg on gameboy.

The use of purple is sexy, but a little lost. Oh, and create a new character, because it doesn't do this justice :)