AuthorTopic: BrotherInWar campaign  (Read 10210 times)

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

BrotherInWar campaign

on: August 18, 2005, 07:02:49 pm
I count 4 topics so far for people running for Peer Mod.  According to what I understand from Pep Pig there is 4 seats.  So you need a 5th person so I am here.  I don’t know a lot of you in fact I barely know any of you.  Some of you are saying the same thing.  Not only would I get weekly challenges (colabs, buddy, and solo), I would make and honest attempt at getting the people on these forums to get to know each other more.  Why should mods just mask the problem when they can attack it from the roots.  Getting members to know each other more would lower the amount of fighting on the forums.  Yes, I was in the old Pixelation if you don't remember me.  While I could brown nose the other candidates but, I want to keep this campaign clean.
 - BrotherInWar for Peer Mod.  Why not?
Heres your badges.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 12:32:39 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Doomraider

• View Profile

Re: 5th man campaign

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:50:59 pm
Ah, helping people to get to know eachother was a great idea from you. I guess with that, there would be less problems of conflicts from people. I'll support you.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: 5th man campaign

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:58:27 pm
Exactly why mask the problem when you can prevent it all together.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: BrotherInWar campaign

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 07:51:18 pm
BrotherInWar,

I'm happy to hear you want to run a clean campaign. I like your idea about people getting to know one another better. I think more attention to new members, in a positive way, would be a great way to build the atmosphere we need. On the contrary, it seems that some people too easily dismiss one another when they find they don't see eye to eye on something, even after going through the process of becoming friends. Any comments about this??

When considering fairness on the forum, it appears that moderators will use their powers to try to enforce the rules equally. There's no reason why moderators cannot try to welcome and anticipate problematic members without using their powers, and deal with first offenses with suggestions to read the Rules/FAQ. I have a question for you that is related to problem solving: If representatives had the power to lock threads, would this be a good thing?

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 08:52:14 pm
I will reply to your comments in reverse order.

First I would like to answer your second question, about the ability for Reps to lock topics, my opinion towards that area would be no.  Reps don't need the ability of such a degree as lock topic but a lower caliber temp lock or a post block from certain members that caused the topic to be locked. 

To answer your first comment/question I feel it's just human nature to dismiss someone they can't see.  In other words when your online and you don't agree with someone you can just ignore him or her; or insult him or her as much as you want knowing they cannot touch you.  Yet in real life when there is someone you don't agree with you still have to deal with him or her.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:32:37 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 03:56:21 am
First I would like to answer your second question, about the ability for Reps to lock topics, my opinion towards that area would be no.  Reps don't need the ability of such a degree as lock topic but a lower caliber temp lock or a post block from certain members that caused the topic to be locked.
Having the ability is an all or nothing condition, and you could always unlock a topic later on. If you at least had the option of using it, or put it to a vote in important situations, would you rather not have such a tool at your disposal? Are you afraid of repercussions from utilizing such a power?

To answer your first comment/question I feel it's just human nature to dismiss someone they can't see.  In other words when your online and you don't agree with someone you can just ignore him or her; or insult him or her as much as you want knowing they cannot touch you.  Yet in real life when there is someone you don't agree with you still have to deal with him or her.
Should people be accountable to one another on the forum then? To what extent should ignorance be considered a solution over conflict? Do you believe representatives should take an active role in mediation to resolve issues?

Thanks for your time, candidate BrotherInWar.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 04:35:52 am
First I would like to answer your second question, about the ability for Reps to lock topics, my opinion towards that area would be no. Reps don't need the ability of such a degree as lock topic but a lower caliber temp lock or a post block from certain members that caused the topic to be locked.
Having the ability is an all or nothing condition, and you could always unlock a topic later on. If you at least had the option of using it, or put it to a vote in important situations, would you rather not have such a tool at your disposal? Are you afraid of repercussions from utilizing such a power?

To answer your first comment/question I feel it's just human nature to dismiss someone they can't see. In other words when your online and you don't agree with someone you can just ignore him or her; or insult him or her as much as you want knowing they cannot touch you. Yet in real life when there is someone you don't agree with you still have to deal with him or her.
Should people be accountable to one another on the forum then? To what extent should ignorance be considered a solution over conflict? Do you believe representatives should take an active role in mediation to resolve issues?

Thanks for your time, candidate BrotherInWar.

Still clicking refresh...
I will answer in written order this time.  What I meant was the lock the topic from all that didn't create the topic or are in forum government (If it could work like that), or did you mean lock the topic as in for repeated questions (or fights too)?  The fear is nonexistent its just the fact of if a Rep which isn’t as higher power as a Mod gets insulted in a good topic they can kill it if they would like.  Yet yes others would be able to unlock it but a determined person could keep it locked until it falls into "I dun' member pa" status.

As for your second question(s) a fight can go on a forum until one of the parties isn't considering the fight a joke anymore.  Most fights on forums are just jesting.  Yet when a side regresses it isn’t the necessarily the other party who gets a slap on the wrist, it's both sides.  If both parties go beyond jesting and start angrily writing posts then both sides need to be punished no matter which one caves.  (how pathetic does that sound)  People are responsible for their own actions / relationships regardless no matter who they talk to or where they are. 
This story leads to the answer to you final question.  In my school we had something called peer mediation.  Where 5 goody goody kids would listen to all sides of the story and have the fighting parties resolve their issues in a civil legal manner without harsh punishment.  More than 3/4's of all mediations led to future fistfights.  Mediation solves some things but not all.  Sometimes a slap on the wrist with a metal baseball bat is all they need.  (IE Post count zap, Temp banning, user name ban, IP ban, and a silencer [where the user can only post 2 times a day / limited time logged in a day, lower than Temp banning on the calibers of punishment if such a thing is possible.])  As in the participation of Reps in these mediations I feel yes but, the position shouldn't be handed to them, all forms of forum government should take part in resolving conflicts between members.   

I may not know technologically what this forum can do as in for features, yet I feel that’s a good thing because then ideas aren’t limited.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:43:14 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 05:16:53 am
I'm unsure that we can prevent an individual from posting further to a thread if they misbehaved in it once.

I'm not clear on your question about locking, but I'll try to respond to what I did understand... you believe that representatives may be corrupt and lock quality threads for inappropriate reasons? Will working with other representatives be a problem if they share such a power?

It's difficult to set an appropriate punishment sometimes. Absolutes like member/non-member are too sharp a contrast, but post zaps tend to only make people resistant to making reparations for an offense they have committed. They usually begin to resent any authority.

In the case of two sides caving to a fight, would it be better to provide multiple choices that encourage an improvement in relations before resorting to punishments? If they can undo the damage, what harm is there to provide mediation toward that end before an end is chosen for them? A spoken contract cannot substitute a state of peace, but setting a warning for further disruption may prove most effective?

As in the participation of Reps in these mediations I feel yes but, the position shouldn't be handed to them, all forms of forum government should take part in resolving conflicts between members.
I agree. Representatives should remain a vestige of parallel with the membership, getting involved with an issue when sought by a member.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 05:29:44 am
I'm unsure that we can prevent an individual from posting further to a thread if they misbehaved in it once.

I'm not clear on your question about locking, but I'll try to respond to what I did understand... you believe that representatives may be corrupt and lock quality threads for inappropriate reasons? Will working with other representatives be a problem if they share such a power?

It's difficult to set an appropriate punishment sometimes. Absolutes like member/non-member are too sharp a contrast, but post zaps tend to only make people resistant to making reparations for an offense they have committed. They usually begin to resent any authority.

In the case of two sides caving to a fight, would it be better to provide multiple choices that encourage an improvement in relations before resorting to punishments? If they can undo the damage, what harm is there to provide mediation toward that end before an end is chosen for them? A spoken contract cannot substitute a state of peace, but setting a warning for further disruption may prove most effective?

As in the participation of Reps in these mediations I feel yes but, the position shouldn't be handed to them, all forms of forum government should take part in resolving conflicts between members.
I agree. Representatives should remain a vestige of parallel with the membership, getting involved with an issue when sought by a member.
How reps will respond to the power of the ability to lock threads can only be found out in due time.  "The best to teach your kids discipline isn’t through physical abuse its mental abuse that causes the longest lasting scars,"  err wait now, this quote, "The best way to teach a kid to not play with matches it to let them burn themselves."

I wasn't saying the mediation didn't help.  Fights without mediation usually included cops, drugs, baseball bats, and candy; if that’s what you were asking.  There was still a round' a 25% chance of success.  Yet it doesn't hurt anything if it’s tried.  Mediation should be tried before anything else in most cases.  I say most because I've seen people do something that they were perm banned so fast very few saw what they posted.  I believe a combination of peace treaties and harsh example punishments work the best.  Where peace treaties are set in place and harsh punishments are there for the slightest toe out of line in breaking the treaty.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 05:32:33 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 05:37:10 am
Perhaps we should look at this from another perspective: Positive reinforcement and activities that encourage cooperation?

Also, what kind of challenges would you like to run as a representative? Anything in particular?

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 05:49:54 am
There’s two I thought of when I was smoking some we... er sitting in my thinking chair that I rather am taking a liking too.

- Devise a Game box for a game you wish was made
 - Vehicles, design a vehicle that works on two of the 4 types of area, ie, on land, on water, underwater, and airborne

We might try group collabs, where is not a collaboration from the entire forum its from a smaller group of round' 5 people.  Where there would be a set challange that different skill level artists could join in; or there is different collabs put out at the same time and you are only allowed to join one.  This would show what people have similar interests.  I feel it’s a need to have challenges that all skill levels could attempt while still testing the limits of the more professional artists.  Also interactive tutorials might be put into place.  Where a tutorial is posted and learning artists post in the tutorial what they tried to do with what they learned from the tutorial.  Then the creator/or others) crit on how well what was taught in the tutorial was done.  Also to reduce useless posts the post length req possibly could be put back. 

PS Pep: You take the simplest thing to say and make it difficult for us Texans to read.  Don’t stop doing it…  It itches my brain.  Mmmm...  (Born in Tex moved to NJ, why?  I don't know why NJ)

Hah I aint letting you go to sleep Pep!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:33:27 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 06:04:57 am
LOL... Thanks.. I'll continue to write like I do...

I was actually hoping that more people would start asking questions of the candidates. Also, maybe more candidates would show up! I think we will begin voting next friday btw..

I have a draft of some rules that I think would be good for activities (that could be changed later, sort of like a bylaw/constitution).

Activities:

1. No more than 3 activities shall be posted in a given week.
   2. Any approved activity may be executed at the next permissable time. Activities shall be posted in the order in which they were approved.
   3. During the week of voting in new representatives, no new activities shall be posted.
   4. Anybody may suggest an activity, however a formal proposal may only be presented by an authorized officer (Daijin/Representative).
   5. Proposals for activities shall include details such as duration for said activity, as well as any other requisites for successful operation.

Do you think these are acceptable terms for regulating challenge traffic??

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 06:18:07 am
I think 2 weeks is a large enough window to do a challenge.  Just so new challenges aren't cast over with the shadow of the older ones.  I think after 2 weeks they should be locked and arched.  Some more difficult challenges can be as much as 4 weeks/month.  Yet those are only allowed at max once a month.  An activity suggestion topic like the old one will be put into place officially.  IMO there should be an entirely new challenge category.  .  Just to keep more focus on crits on people’s pixel art and not the challenges.  Yes, people could post there challenge submissions in the pixel art section to get some crits to have it as a finished piece, but I feel the fact that people see the challenges in the pixel art section it causes a large number of the critters to crit on challenge submissions rather than pixel art.  Other than that the rules are fine.  Hmm yes I'm seeing all your other questions you are asking the other candidates and not getting responses except from dog and myself.  Insomnia...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:24:45 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 01:52:03 am
I think activities cannot be judged that way. You should let them run as long as people want to participate. But yeah, locking when you're done is fine. That's the easiest way to identify and stay within the 3 simultaneous/3 per week limit.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 12:33:48 am
Huzah new campaign badges!  I got bored when I was drawing a tombstone so I threw on my logo.

I shall be the only one wearing it but care I do not!
Proud to be a BMS team: