AuthorTopic: Game background pixel art (game download inside!)  (Read 3932 times)

Offline m00`

• View Profile

Game background pixel art (game download inside!)

on: June 20, 2011, 12:14:59 am
Hey guys, I'm new here, I just needed help with some pixel art for my game. I've got this game that I'm working on, heres how it currently looks like:

http://s4.postimage.org/gi24zf8we/gameteaser.png (use this if you cant see the image)
Its basically human vs worm, the worm leaps out at the human and the humans gotta shoot it to death!

Heres the background image which needs some work (check out my awesome 2 colour palette pixel art):

http://s4.postimage.org/gi3xhds5q/world_foreground.png (use this if you cant see the image)

I was thinking maybe some grass on the dirt, some pixelated clouds, and slightly better detailed dirt but what do I know! If anyone would like to attempt this be my guest! I'll update this topic if I manage to do anything.

Here is the game so far if anyone's interested (build14):

http://goo.gl/b5DFq
have fun

edit: images now hosted on imageshack
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:03:15 am by m00` »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Game background pixel art (game download inside!)

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:08 am
Can you use the edit button "a][" and fix the images?
I can't see them.
Try imageshack or photobucket or something like that.

On a side note, I had a go at the game will it be 2 player on same keyboard?
One plays as the snake thing and the other tries to avoid it?
Kinda cool.
I think with the snake thing though, it goes faster diagonally than it does in straight line (common problem) so you should probably try to address that at some stage.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:38:37 am by Decroded »

Offline m00`

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:43:10 am
Really? I can see the images, I'll post links under them for those who can't see them.

Yeah it goes faster when its going diagonal but I kinda liked it like that because it would encourage the player to leap instead of just going straight up (which I also purposely made slower).

The games going to be 2 players on the same keyboard first just to see how it plays and so I can get the game mechanics going then I am going to rebuild and optimize the entire engine as a multi-player game so it can be played on a LAN or over the internet. Its typically going to be many humans (with guns!) verses one killer worm, which I think will be blooodyy awesome!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:48:07 am by m00` »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:55:57 am
Will it feature a Kwisatz Haderach?  :hehe:

Offline m00`

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:56 am
Thats all up to your imagination!

By the way guys, I forgot to mention, if you want to work on the level image and see how it turns out in-game, just replace the world_foreground image in the oom/data/gfx folder and play the game. Pretty simple level editing :P oh and don't mess with the world_background.png file because that one is used for the collision mapping and the collisions mapping isn't done very well yet so it can only handle flat surfaces right now.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:21:55 am
Cool.
One idea is it gets faster and more powerful each time it eats someone, so its pretty frantic to be the last one standing.
Would be cool if you could throw bombs down the hole too lol.
If its sand, the hole could possibly fill back in over time.

Obviously you've seen Dune, have you also checked out the Tremor trilogy?
I'm assuming you have, its basically a bunch of humans with guns vs these things.
Possibly you've played this great flash game too?
http://www.nitrome.com/games/wormfood/

Offline m00`

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:35:57 am
Ah nope, I havn't played that flash game. I like the bomb idea. Whats going to happen with this game is that the humans cant go down the black holes but their bullets can so the more the worm digs the more vulnerable it will be, this will encourage the worm to make strategic leaps! There is a lot of good ideas but I just need to finish the basic mechanics first.

By the way, bloody awesome flash game, I don't think I am any were near a good enough artist to make my game look that good LOL. I hope that the co-operative aspect of the game will separate it from similar 'worm jump out of dirt and destroy everything' games.