AuthorTopic: my first attempt at this.  (Read 5922 times)

Offline evilyoshi

• View Profile

my first attempt at this.

on: June 17, 2011, 11:13:51 pm

i was trying to do retro game zombie.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: my first attempt at this.

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:36:59 am
If you want honest critique please post your images in a appropriate manner and put a bit more effort into it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:41:19 am
Yeah, don't mean to sound harsh, but it's not really possible to give critiques to beginners. Before posting here, you should practice on your own. I'm going to assume you're young, probably ten or under, so wait until you get older and have more of an idea of what you're doing. It might take years, but you should just practice.

Offline pikminboy111

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:11:44 am
well... you have paint.net ... he need a neck. the proportions are off. like his legs it looks like one is attached in front of the other. he needs cloths. so u could use jeans to portray 3d. just add back or from pockets to help with the proportions. no ones arms have ever been like that unless there are viruses involved. so with a shirt add better looking hand. you dont need detail. just a circle will work for the hands. hair and a ear. u can use hair to cover the hair so u dont need to add one.

and lastly you need to study other art more. there is an entire dictionary of pieces to study. cut and paste if you half to a little from this and a little from that. just give credit from everything you take. and in no time you could be very good at this.

Offline evilyoshi

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:12:23 am
im 15 and i suck at art and dont care about my grammar because its a forum, and not english class.
well... you have paint.net ... he need a neck. the proportions are off. like his legs it looks like one is attached in front of the other. he needs cloths. so u could use jeans to portray 3d. just add back or from pockets to help with the proportions. no ones arms have ever been like that unless there are viruses involved. so with a shirt add better looking hand. you dont need detail. just a circle will work for the hands. hair and a ear. u can use hair to cover the hair so u dont need to add one.

and lastly you need to study other art more. there is an entire dictionary of pieces to study. cut and paste if you half to a little from this and a little from that. just give credit from everything you take. and in no time you could be very good at this.

i didnt want it to be realistic because i wanted it to look like it was from an old game.  thanks for teling me about the legs though, i thought that would be good for what i was trying to do.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:15:15 am by evilyoshi »

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:33:07 am

Well... his legs suggest he's standing at an angle, so his arms should reflect that too (meaning the other arm should be partially visible). Consequently, his head should turn slightly towards the viewer.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:47:02 am
What's the point of taking a screen capture when it would be much easier to click the save button...?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:15 am
How old r u buddy?
Please don't give up, keep going!!
Do some sketches on  paper of what u r trying to draw first then scan them in and trace over it...

Offline evilyoshi

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:45:26 pm
How old r u buddy?
Please don't give up, keep going!!
Do some sketches on  paper of what u r trying to draw first then scan them in and trace over it...

i already said i was 15. i suck at art and got interested in this form of art 2 days ago.  and i cant draw anything by hand and i don't have a scanner. and when i made this i did not want to use many pixels, and i did not know what size artists usually work at.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 11:37:23 pm
i already said i was 15. i suck at art and got interested in this form of art 2 days ago.  and i cant draw anything by hand and i don't have a scanner. and when i made this i did not want to use many pixels, and i did not know what size artists usually work at.

Is this some sort of programming excercise and you don't care about the graphics?
Even if its really limited, you should attempt to make it look good with the limited pixels you have.
You need to do more practice sketches on paper first even if you don't have a scanner.
As it is I have no idea what it is without you explaining it and retro games have very low quality sound so its unlikely you'll get much help from audio...