AuthorTopic: my first attempt at this.  (Read 6005 times)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: my first attempt at this.

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 05:49:14 am
Consider, you know, practicing drawing first. Even without a tablet or anything fancy you can produce great results. It all depends on practice. Frankly though, right now you don't seem that eager to learn. If you really are, though, keep going. I'm sure we'd all love to see you improve, but if not, oh well... Another one bites the dust.

I've said this before, if you want a kick start there are tutorials and art book PDFs galore spread throughout the internet.

Offline hate

• i'm not really here
    • View Profile
    • WWW.ILOVENEWORK.FR

Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:30:57 am
well you should try to make nes sprites and just save your pictures, keep it up if its funny
WWW.ILOVENEWORK.FR

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:44 am
another tip from my side:

If you really do not want to dabble with "normal" drawing on paper and begin with pixelart, reduce yourself to much, much less pixels.
You can do a character with only 20 x 20 px - not only will you see results much faster, you'll also be forced to concentrate on what is important (which is probably the most important thing in drawing)

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:26:04 pm
i (...) dont care about my grammar because its a forum
This attitude is going to cause you loads of problems when you have to interact with people.

Offline tylerjhutchison

• View Profile
    • tylersaurus.com

Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 07:03:46 pm
I think evilyoshi has no idea where to start with pixeling but is very interested in it and came here for advice.

So here are a few things to help get you started:
Start by poking around these links.  Read some of those tutorials, it is a great way to start.
Tools & Tutorials: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0
Top Threads with interesting advice and discussions on pixeling: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4912.0

-If you want to make a 'retro' looking zombie, start by using a smaller canvas, something like 16x16 pixels.
-Look at reference photos.  There are tons of pictures of zombies on the internet.  Most of them are going to be very detailed so try squinting and blurring out all the details to just look at the general shape of the zombie.  What do you notice and how is this different from what you have made?
-Practice drawing in real life.  You must learn to think visually(proportion, color relation, shadowing) if you want be good at pixel art. Drawing and painting are great ways of practicing this.  Try drawing things from real life, DO NOT draw from memory.  People who can draw from memory are people who have spent years studying how to draw from real life.

Tips on this attempt:
-Save the file as a .png or .gif and post that.  Do not post screenshots.
-The head is gigantic it looks more like a dinosaur than a zombie.
-The eyeball is gigantic, probably because it is trying to fill up some of that big head.  But in real life eyeballs are pretty tiny when compared to a head.
-The body is three heads tall.  I am not sure if this is intentional or not.  But be aware that realistically a human/zombie is about 7 heads tall.-

There is much more that I could go on about with this but it is not going to be very nice and it is not worth it until you take a look at some of those tutorials and try them out.

You are brand new at trying this so don't worry about not knowing how to do things.  Just explore and have fun.